PDA

View Full Version : Magnets

choss
07/11/2017, 06:53 AM
Hi - I'm looking for some advice on good strong magnets to attach the sides of my stand to the frame. The frame is wood and I'm looking for relatively thin magnets. Thanks in advance for your advice!

mcgyvr
07/11/2017, 07:38 AM
Your local home depot has a whole section of magnets that will work..
Go check them out and see what works for you..

I would avoid the adhesive flexible magnets and go with the better iron/neodymium type even though the pull strengths you require should be fairly low (I'm assuming you just need something to hold the wood in the vertical plane and they they won't be relied on to carry any of its weight right?)

billdogg
07/11/2017, 08:05 AM
Www.kjmagnetics.com

If you can't find it there they don't make it

GimpyFin
07/11/2017, 09:12 AM
If you have access to a few old computer hard drives, you can pop them open for some really strong, fairly slim magnets for free. They can pinch your fingers if you're not careful.

BigDave
07/11/2017, 09:41 AM
I used these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CQ9AGE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My stand is steel and my sides are 1x frames with a 1/4" skin on each side. I used a forstner bit to drill a relief in the 1x frames, glued the magnet into the hole, and then glued the 1/4" skin on top of the frame. The magnets are strong enough to hold the sides to the frame through the plywood.

chris o
07/11/2017, 10:38 AM
Amazon has a great selection and is what I use to hold the cabinet face on my 430. I used several of the 70# magnets. I also use it on my bottom trim pieces so when I need full access I can just pull it all off. when I attach them I them put a coat of pond armor on them to prevent and corrosion.

choss
07/12/2017, 06:12 AM
I used these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CQ9AGE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My stand is steel and my sides are 1x frames with a 1/4" skin on each side. I used a forstner bit to drill a relief in the 1x frames, glued the magnet into the hole, and then glued the 1/4" skin on top of the frame. The magnets are strong enough to hold the sides to the frame through the plywood.

Interesting. I need to look more closely at this option.

Amazon has a great selection and is what I use to hold the cabinet face on my 430. I used several of the 70# magnets. I also use it on my bottom trim pieces so when I need full access I can just pull it all off. when I attach them I them put a coat of pond armor on them to prevent and corrosion.

Will take a look on Amazon

Your local home depot has a whole section of magnets that will work..
Go check them out and see what works for you..

I would avoid the adhesive flexible magnets and go with the better iron/neodymium type even though the pull strengths you require should be fairly low (I'm assuming you just need something to hold the wood in the vertical plane and they they won't be relied on to carry any of its weight right?)

The only ones I found were smaller circular magnets. These didn't actually work very well so I am looking now at maybe something rectangular.

Www.kjmagnetics.com

If you can't find it there they don't make it

Very true! They seem pricey but I'll dig through the site.

If you have access to a few old computer hard drives, you can pop them open for some really strong, fairly slim magnets for free. They can pinch your fingers if you're not careful.

Don't have any of these laying around but that is good to know!

mcgyvr
07/12/2017, 06:58 AM
The only ones I found were smaller circular magnets. These didn't actually work very well so I am looking now at maybe something rectangular.

search online at their site.. I show almost 200 different ones at HD and you can narrow down to whats at your store.. Then you just hunt the store till you find where they stash them..
and example..
http://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-MAGNETICS-1-2-in-Neodymium-Rare-Earth-Magnet-Discs-6-per-Pack-07046HD/202526367

EvenFurther
07/12/2017, 07:01 PM
Amazon also has a decent selection of magnets. If your looking for something strong, or something strong and compact, use Neodymium.

ryan115
07/12/2017, 07:56 PM
Magcraft (https://www.magcraft.com/) has a fair selection as well, though it looks like K&J have them beat.

shiftline
07/13/2017, 03:32 PM
Rare earth magnets. I use tons on my metal stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk