PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned for my tank inhabitants?

Grayhead
07/11/2017, 02:31 PM
Naturally concern for my family comes first..
This is affecting my county as well as my region in NC.
http://www.wect.com/story/35859127/water-company-considers-advisory-to-not-drink-water

heathlindner25
07/11/2017, 02:42 PM
I would be concerned.

Grayhead
07/11/2017, 02:46 PM
Hopefully the di resin will filter this. I'm afraid this is about to blow up in my area

hkgar
07/11/2017, 02:51 PM
I would check with the water company to see if carbon and Ro + DI would remove the toxin. Also, take this question to the Reef Chemistry forum. The experts in this type of thing monitor there.

mcgyvr
07/11/2017, 02:55 PM
No one here is capable of answering that question..
Nor can anyone answer if its removed via RO/DI...
Nor can your water company at this point..

But Erin Brockovich should be called and it might explain a lot about North Carolina residents.. :p Its said that its been in the water since the 80's...
Thanks Dupont.. :middlefinger:

Grayhead
07/11/2017, 03:02 PM
You in southeastern nc mcgyvr?

mcgyvr
07/11/2017, 03:14 PM
You in southeastern nc mcgyvr?

Just north of Raleigh..

Grayhead
07/11/2017, 04:43 PM
10-4. Do you ever visit reef keepers in clayton?

jda
07/11/2017, 08:28 PM
Ask Bertoni what will filter the substance out. Carbon might get it... DI... I dunno, but he likely will.

norfolkgarden
07/12/2017, 03:28 PM
Paul B might know. He has an issue with zinc something or other from the local water company.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Grayhead
07/17/2017, 10:05 AM
Thankfully they released statements that shows the levels are well below the harmful range for humans in my area. Verified by 2 sources. Still not sure if it can affect my tank inhabitants.

mcgyvr
07/17/2017, 12:07 PM
10-4. Do you ever visit reef keepers in clayton?

Sorry.. missed that post a few days back (wish this forum had "shoutout" capabilities)..

But yes I have.. great place.. far better than any other "local fish stores" in the area..

The owner can come off kind of "rude" I guess sometimes but its because he knows his stuff and isn't afraid to tell you that..

The tanks he has there are pretty amazing too..

Only think I don't like is when a LFS doesn't post prices on the tank and seem to pull them from thin air when you ask..
But many of the tanks have a TON of corals in them so its nearly impossible to mark them all..

hkgar
07/17/2017, 12:52 PM
Sorry.. missed that post a few days back (wish this forum had "shoutout" capabilities)..

But yes I have.. great place.. far better than any other "local fish stores" in the area..

The owner can come off kind of "rude" I guess sometimes but its because he knows his stuff and isn't afraid to tell you that..

Only think I don't like is when a LFS doesn't post prices on the tank and seem to pull them from thin air when you ask..
But many of the tanks have a TON of corals in them so its nearly impossible to mark them all..

Not sure what you mean by shoutout, but I get an email whenever a new post has been made to a thread to which I am subscribed. Check "edit options" in user cp. Posting a comment in a thread suscribes you.

mcgyvr
07/18/2017, 04:41 AM
Shoutout is when you can do @hkgar and you get an email specifically because they mentioned you..
I hate subscribing to threads but LOVE the notification of a shoutout..

Do you know how many emails I'd get if I turned on automatic subscription... heck no :)

Grayhead
07/18/2017, 07:42 AM

He weighs his finger on the scale most definitely. His brother was there one day, and I scored a few acros for half of what he would charge. He keeps a nice stock as well. Wish he was closer to my area. Hard to drive 2.5 hours every time I want something. I usually stop when I travel that route

hkgar
07/18/2017, 09:48 AM
Shoutout is when you can do @hkgar and you get an email specifically because they mentioned you..
I hate subscribing to threads but LOVE the notification of a shoutout..

Do you know how many emails I'd get if I turned on automatic subscription... heck no :)

You only get the email when the first post is made since you last visited the thread, not for every post made to a subscribed thread and you are automatically subscribed if you post a comment to a thread.

mcgyvr
07/18/2017, 10:09 AM
You only get the email when the first post is made since you last visited the thread, not for every post made to a subscribed thread and you are automatically subscribed if you post a comment to a thread.
Nah.. still not for me..

Grayhead
07/27/2017, 03:31 AM
Well, this is good news for my tank inhabitants

http://www.wect.com/story/35981219/scientist-touts-effectiveness-of-reverse-osmosis-water-filtration

Seems T
RO will filter it out. Will have to invest in an RO system for my house

hkgar
07/27/2017, 01:59 PM
A whole house RO system is pretty expensive. Most just get it for drinking water and ice cubes. Also get a RO/DI system for your tank water. The DI is important for the tank inhabitants.

Grayhead
07/27/2017, 04:32 PM
I already have an RODI for my system.
I'm thankful it looks to filter out the bad stuff for the tank.

I will look into an RODI for drinking and cooking. Washing clothes and showers are no issue. Thanks for the reply

hkgar
07/28/2017, 11:41 AM
No DI for drinking and cooking. Only RO. DI removes things that - though bad for tank inhabitants - are good for us, plus I understand that after DI the water tastes bad.

Something like this (https://www.affordablewater.us/Reverse-Osmosis-System-4-Stage-50-GPD--P298.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwevLBRCGARIsAKnAJvfgdoemN7Ry0xZZSGvpknyUVHbQsIlNRIXeeI4e6QMfPrtrhsHuLD0aAtef EALw_wcB)

Grayhead
07/29/2017, 07:17 AM
No DI for drinking and cooking. Only RO. DI removes things that - though bad for tank inhabitants - are good for us, plus I understand that after DI the water tastes bad.

Something like this (https://www.affordablewater.us/Reverse-Osmosis-System-4-Stage-50-GPD--P298.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwevLBRCGARIsAKnAJvfgdoemN7Ry0xZZSGvpknyUVHbQsIlNRIXeeI4e6QMfPrtrhsHuLD0aAtef EALw_wcB)
I meant just RO. I have a booster pump on my current RODI. Would the same apply for this as Well?

Sk8r
07/29/2017, 08:05 AM
Just saying---there are a few contaminants that are lethal to fish at levels rated safe for us to drink, and evaporation can build them up in a tank: there's one we ran into in OKC that could be a problem. You might talk to your local university's head of chemistry and ask. As a former teacher, I received questions from the community now and again and was pleased to help, in my own field, which is not chemistry. I would consider a safe fill followed by safe topoffs and maybe a few really good supplements to hold the line until the lads in white coats can give you better information---problem is, if your grocery store's bottled water is filtered from local taps, that's not going to help you. Well water stands a chance of being contaminated if ground water is.