PDA

View Full Version : multiple captive bred orchid dottybacks together

mfinn
07/11/2017, 07:10 PM
I've always loved purple fish and got the idea of trying 2-3 in my 240.
I know wild stock will be territorial but have heard captive bred are less.
Is it possible to keep multiples in a 240?

ichthyogeek
07/11/2017, 09:37 PM
It's a 240 gallon tank...and orchid dottybacks are some of the most gentle of the dottybacks....although I'd caution against having 3, since two might pair up, then you just have 2 after they go all territorial...

norfolkgarden
07/12/2017, 03:30 PM
I can no longer keep a harem of Royal Gramma's because of my dottybacks.

Just a thought.

We don't have a problem keeping two dottybacks in a 75. We have a strawberry and a diadema.

Any combination of Strawberry, Royal, diadema, or orchid sized similarly and added at the same time works fine with enough rock work and at least a four foot long tank.

But not with Royal Gramma's or black cap basslets.

The black cap basslets would be pretty and less likely to kill each other.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mfinn
07/12/2017, 04:13 PM
I can no longer keep a harem of Royal Gramma's because of my dottybacks.

Just a thought.

We don't have a problem keeping two dottybacks in a 75. We have a strawberry and a diadema.

Any combination of Strawberry, Royal, diadema, or orchid sized similarly and added at the same time works fine with enough rock work and at least a four foot long tank.

But not with Royal Gramma's or black cap basslets.

The black cap basslets would be pretty and less likely to kill each other.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A few hours after I posted this question I got a email from liveaquaria that Black Cap Basslets were in stock.
Decided to go with 2 of them instead.

Half Vaped
07/13/2017, 10:01 AM
So no Dottybacks then?

I had good luck keeping an Orchid, Electric Indigo, Black Neon and Striped Dottyback in my 150G for close to a year before I lost them all in a tank crash. All were ORA and added at the same time. They seemed to get along and sometimes followed each other around.

mfinn
07/13/2017, 11:08 AM
So no Dottybacks then?

I had good luck keeping an Orchid, Electric Indigo, Black Neon and Striped Dottyback in my 150G for close to a year before I lost them all in a tank crash. All were ORA and added at the same time. They seemed to get along and sometimes followed each other around.

Not at this time.
My goal was to get Black Cap Basslets, but couldn't find any, anywhere for the last 5-6 months, so that's when I decided on checking out the dottybacks.
No sooner had I posted the question here, a email from liveaquaria came that stated Black Caps were in stock. lol

ThRoewer
07/13/2017, 11:42 AM
I kept 4 orchid dottybacks together in a 100 gallon tank. I didn't notice any excessive aggression or fighting between them. They definitely spawned.
Unfortunately they killed off one by one by the powerheads. The issue with them is that they are very inquisitive fish and like to explore any openings and cavities they find. So when the pumps were off they snug in and got chopped up when the pumps came back on.

By now I have replaced those WAV pumps with Jebao pumps that are actually more flexible in programming some impeller movement during the off periods to keep nosy fish out.

If I had not put a group of Grammas in the tank I get another orchid harem. The behavior of them in a group is quite interesting.
I actually posted a few videos in a thread here about my attempt.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk