PDA

View Full Version : Ugh more tank issues

Jaadep
07/11/2017, 08:37 PM
Hi everyone.

Well my husband johnnyredd had posted in here about my 120 and the issues we were having. We finally decided t take down the tank and replace the rock since the tank would not stop cycling and no one could figure out why. It has been out of cycle since first of May and doing good. All my corals and most of my fish are happy and healthy. However...if i put a medium sized tang in it 2.5-3" long. They die on day 4. Always day 4. Wth?

I have 2 clowns, 3 black pajamas, a cherub angel and a diamond goby that have all been in there since first week of May and they are all wonderful.

Any ideas?

Ryan Darilek
07/11/2017, 11:14 PM
Well that IS odd... How many tangs are we talking here?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ryan Darilek
07/11/2017, 11:15 PM
What are your parameters?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tmz
07/12/2017, 12:16 AM
Disease is possible ; do you quarantine ? Symptoms? Tank parameters?

Jaadep
07/14/2017, 08:38 PM
I have never put more than 2 in the tank together and I make sure they are different shapes when i do. They are fine for 4 days. They eat really good then on the 4 th day they start hiding. Will only come out when food is put in. By the next morning they are gone. The Lemon Tang (last one) actually lasted 2 weeks then did the same thing. They are fed twice a day and seaweed is put in daily. They dont have any other signs of anything wrong. My sailfin will hit 2 weeks tomorrow and still loocks good but is attached to the cleaner wrasse for some reason. He just likes to be cleaned I guess.

Parameters
Salt 1.24
Amonia below .15
Nitrite .1
Nitrate 50
Phosphate .5

Jaadep
07/14/2017, 08:40 PM
Also, my water change is coming out of out of a well established 240.

Vinny Kreyling
07/15/2017, 07:40 AM
Ammonia should ALWAYS be -0- also Nitrite should not be present in the water.
Have you tried using freshly mixed salt in the 120?

Apotack
07/15/2017, 08:40 AM
Could it be something on your hands?

Smokey Stover
07/15/2017, 08:46 AM
Have you put any "new" fish in the 240 since the beginning of trouble? That being where your water is coming from. Do they survive?

Jaadep
07/16/2017, 09:28 PM
The water doesnt come from the 240 every time. It did the last time and the one befor that was freshly mixed. There havent been any new fish or issues with the 240 though.

The reading of anomia being present is beacuse the lemon tang disappeared and I couldnt find him to get him out. Normally if something dies it comes out of the tank

I dont use lotion or anything on my hands and since I am allergic to the salt water I try not to put my hands in it to begin with. If a hand has to go into the tank its usually done by my husband.

Dan_P
07/17/2017, 04:53 AM
Parameters
Salt 1.24
Amonia below .15
Nitrite .1
Nitrate 50
Phosphate .5

I am aware from previous posts that you guys are not newbies. Just wanted to add to the brainstorming.

If the fish do not go into quarantine, this issue might be unsolvable. The number of days that the tangs last seems very short and yet you have other healthy fish in the aquarium. That makes me think it is the fish not the tank. I think in this situation, my approach would be to not try anymore tangs for 2-3 months and I would use another supplier when I do

Some thoughts about aquarium chemistry (which you might be sick of hearing about) but no answers.

Ammonia should be 0 or below detection limit of the kit. Depending on the kit you are using, the color of the test sample color might be ambiguous at the low end. A cycled tank should have zero ammonia and be able to quickly consume generated ammonia. I am pretty sure a recently dead fish should not be generating enough ammonia that is exceeding the capacity of the aquarium bio-filter. If it is, I would slow stocking rate.

Nitrite, same as ammonia, should be zero or below detection limit. Confirm you are at zero.

Curious about the nitrate level. Why so high?

bertoni
07/17/2017, 07:14 PM
It's unusual for a tank to show nitrite for very long, but nitrite is safe at that level for fish. Is 0.15 ppm the lowest detection point on your kit? Does the tank have enough live rock for the fish load? Also, tangs might be a bit more sensitive to the aeration level. Does the tank have a skimmer? I'm mostly just guessing here. This kind of problem can be very difficult to diagnose.

Jaadep
07/20/2017, 04:41 PM
The test has 0 and .15. It was in between the two.

Tank has a skimmer and fuge on it. We are stumped by the nitrate level too.

bertoni
07/20/2017, 06:03 PM
I might get a second opinion on the ammonia kit. Any sign of ammonia generally is bad (on a hobbyist kit), but ammonia kits are prone to failing and reading ammonia everywhere. If the reading is correct, I might try adding more live rock, depending on what's already in the tank.

alazo1
07/22/2017, 06:19 AM
I take it your other fish eat the same food as your tangs?