PDA

View Full Version : How to get a Purple tang to eat meaty foods?

jvmesle
07/11/2017, 10:06 PM
I've had a purple tang for about a month now that I got from DD. From the beginning, I could never get him to eat anything but nori. I soak the nori with selcon every other day to try to make the nori more nutritious. But I can never get it to eat meaty foods, even when I soak them with garlic or selcon. I've tried feeding LRS Reef Frenzy, PE Mysis, and other blends but he doesn't go for any of it. The only thing he goes for is his nori.

Is it bad if he only eats greens? I've noticed hes been getting lighter in color around his face and I hear that could be because of nutrition. I've checked my water parameters and they are all good.

How can I get him to eat meat?!

GimpyFin
07/12/2017, 10:49 AM
It may just take a little time for him to go for the meaty stuff. IME, they're not super picky once settled in. I started mine with seaweed but he went after other stuff before too long. I usually feed a variety of mysis, pellets, and roe and he happily eats it all.

LobsterOfJustice
07/12/2017, 12:44 PM
Try some spirulina brine. I have a little zebrasoma I acquired recently and that's what she liked most at first, then transitioned to other foods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hanas
07/12/2017, 05:58 PM
I'm surprised he's not eating any meaty foods, mine was also purchased through DD and immediately ate everything. Funny though that when I bought my Powder Blue from LA he would only eat meaty foods at first (ate PE mysis a minute after being introduced to QT) but wouldn't touch Nori for a couple months.

I would just give him more time but it's odd based on my experience with having 2 different purple tangs.