PDA

View Full Version : Lyretail anthia stopped eating dry food

Wagonpitt
07/12/2017, 02:25 PM
ive had my anthias for 3 or 4 months now, at first all female but now one male. It took a little while for them to start eating flakes and pellets but since then up until now they never refused. the male is just about finished his colour change and has stopped eating the dry foods for about a week now. He still eats frozen no problem. I also noticed 2 days ago a white poop instead of usual light brown, i read this could be parasites. Theres no unusual behaviour heavy breathing darting around hiding or anything else. Just not eating dry foods. i havnt added any fish in a while and all other fish are fine and eating. All the female anthias and other fish eat the pellets and flakes.

Im wondering if anyone has any advice or ideas on what it could be. Not too worried since it eats frozen looks healthy and no odd behaviour. Just easier to not have to feed frozen constantly.

https://youtu.be/7TpqjbvjlVM

Mr. Eel
07/12/2017, 05:02 PM
Try putting the food in the tank it usually gets wet when you do that.

Half Vaped
07/13/2017, 10:05 AM
White poop can be indicative of some kind of intestinal parasite. Might be a good idea to dose PraziPro. If you can't get the male out to treat in a separate tank, dosing your display shouldn't cause any harm if you follow the directions.

ca1ore
07/13/2017, 09:33 PM
Male pseudoanthias, particularly the larger species, are inherently twitchy. As long as it's eating frozen, I'd not be concerned. BTW, I would NEVER dose prazipro to my display, regardless of the safeness claims. I also think white poops = internal parasites is more parroted reef myth than verified fact.

Half Vaped
07/13/2017, 10:19 PM
Male pseudoanthias, particularly the larger species, are inherently twitchy. As long as it's eating frozen, I'd not be concerned. BTW, I would NEVER dose prazipro to my display, regardless of the safeness claims. I also think white poops = internal parasites is more parroted reef myth than verified fact.

I've used PraziPro maybe a dozen times in my DTs and never had any deaths other than with fish obviously suffering greatly from flukes. It really seems that fish stop having white poop after usage, but then again white poop also sometimes goes away on its own.

If it's eating frozen and acting normally otherwise, you might be fine, as ca1ore suggests. My Anthias eat nothing but frozen (they don't seem to recognize pellets or flake as food--none of my saltwater fish like dry foods), which I think is better to give them what they like.

ThRoewer
07/14/2017, 04:56 AM
... BTW, I would NEVER dose prazipro to my display, regardless of the safeness claims. I also think white poops = internal parasites is more parroted reef myth than verified fact.
+1

As for white poo, that is just an indication of an intestinal irritation. While intestinal parasites might be one of the causes, more likely are either bacteria or the food.
Brine shrimp for example can cause white stringy poo in fish. It often goes away by itself.
In persistent cases I would rather treat with metronidazole than Praziquantel.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ca1ore
07/14/2017, 07:36 AM
I've used PraziPro maybe a dozen times in my DTs and never had any deaths other than with fish obviously suffering greatly from flukes.

Understood, I just really don't like medicating my display, particularly given the twitchiness of SPS corals.

ThRoewer
07/14/2017, 09:25 PM
I've used PraziPro maybe a dozen times in my DTs and never had any deaths other than with fish obviously suffering greatly from flukes...

Next time you have a fish greatly suffering from flukes try hyposalinity treatment, especially if they have gill flukes and are breathing rapidly. Most marine flukes can't handle that and the lower salinity makes it easier for the fish to breathe.
After a day when the fish made it and is breathing normal you can add PraziPro to the treatment.
Treating a fish that has trouble breathing at normal salinity with PraziPro may just accelerate its demise as Praziquantel makes it even harder for the fish to breathe.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk