PDA

View Full Version : Banded coral shrimp vs fire shrimp and skunk cleaner shrimp

norfolkgarden
07/12/2017, 04:46 PM
We have a skunk cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp that get along in a 75 gallon tank but don't spend any time near each other.

Would you add a banded coral shrimp to this mix and would it matter if it was the white one or the yellow one?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ron Reefman
07/13/2017, 04:27 AM
Although it's kind of a hit and miss thing, IMHO a coral banded shrimp is far more likely than not, to kill your other shrimp. I had a red one that had an entire 180g tank to himself and he would hunt down and kill all other shrimp. I added 2 peppermint shrimp to help with an aiptasia issue. One didn't make it to the bottem and the other was killed less than a minute after being added.

I have a mated pair of young (small) golden coral banded shrimp in my 65g shallow reef tank full of local only stock. I added a couple of small pistol shrimp I collected in the Gulf of Mexico recently and they both were attacked and killed in under a minute!

That's just been my experience. I know some people have them and they are OK with other shrimp. But I think that is by far the exception rather than the rule. I wouldn't put higher priced shrimp at risk for a low priced shrimp like a Coral banded.

Haunt
07/13/2017, 11:34 AM
FWIW I had all three of these shrimp in a 60 gallon tank once before and everybody got along swimmingly. There were plenty of hiding spots to go around and they were all kept well fed though.

protie
07/21/2017, 08:45 AM
... I wouldn't put higher priced shrimp at risk for a low priced shrimp like a Coral banded.

Agreed and the reason I removed a Coral Banded from my new tank. Immediately after adding 2 of them, the larger one went right for the other and ripped his 2 larger claws off. Later he found a spot in the rocks to swipe at fish swimming by.

norfolkgarden
07/22/2017, 04:12 AM
Thank you everyone!

Going to skip the CBS.

I heard they were mean but just in a general way. Thank you for the personal observations.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

protie
08/03/2017, 12:14 PM
It has been what, 12 days since I mentioned the claws being ripped off of the smaller CBS and they are already grown back! Incredible