PDA

View Full Version : Tank mates for an Emperor angel

Ben0492
07/12/2017, 05:21 PM
So I'm new to this site and to the hobby, for the most part. Usually just read other post. I just got my 2nd tank. 220g so I could get an Emperor, anything else in the tank is bonus. The 90g is my reef tank and was originally so I could get the angle. But of course too small. So many options/opinions out there of what works and doesn't. Looking for other specific experience with what other fish and corals I will be able to add. I know it will end up on the paticular fish, diet. Just curious what has worked for others.

Plan on getting a juvenile when the time comes. Few weeks away before the tank is ready for him, so I have plenty of time.

Thanks

Valentini89
07/12/2017, 06:16 PM
May I suggest a dwarf puffer? The valentini or saddled toby is a wonderful addition to any tank. I have two myself.

jda
07/12/2017, 09:36 PM
They are easy tank mates if your tank is mature, stable and you feed them correctly and enough. If any of these needs are not met, then they can be quite the jackazz.

They are hit and miss with corals. If you want a lot of coral, then don't get one. They do better with stonies... anything fleshy or that waves around is more likely to be eaten. ...some are good ...some are terrors. It won't help much if they are juvenile or adult, IME.

alton
07/13/2017, 06:12 AM
Flame Angels make good tank mates along with most Tangs. Just beware with today's food they grow very fast. I have attached two pictures one as a juvenile and one year later.
This fish came from East Africa.

C.Eymann
07/13/2017, 07:08 AM
Agree with everything said above, also would add that keeping tridacnid clams would be out of the question too.

scooter31707
07/13/2017, 01:36 PM
IME, I have had two of them. One was a jerk (very aggressive), but did not nip/eat any coral. The other I have now, is very peaceful, but does eat corals. I am testing him with certain corals. All acans, duncans, torch, and favias, he tore them up. I put in 3 SPS pieces and 3 Chalices to see what he would do. So far he has not bothered them.

jmm
07/14/2017, 10:24 AM
Tank mates for Emperor angels include very, very fast fish that can get out of the way and small fish that can hide or escape through passages the Emperor won't fit in.

They're not that fast but they are bad tempered.

Ben0492
07/14/2017, 07:44 PM
Thank you all! Took a while to find my way back to my own post. Haha.

Finland
07/14/2017, 07:58 PM
I have had my emperor for a couple years with 5 tangs, a queen angel, and a regal angel. For the most part, he ignores them except for the naso. For whatever reason, if the naso gets anywhere close to him, he goes after it. Thankfully, he gives up chasing after about a second. He just doesn't want the naso anywhere near him. The smaller fish in the tank(clown, gobies, and anthias) are completely ignored.