PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal/good?

Smokey Stover
07/12/2017, 06:14 PM
What i'm wondering about is the clearish jellyish stuff around the base stalk of this Frogspawn. It seems now, To me to go all the way up to a new ring of tenticals.
Being new to corals I'm not sure.

Haunt
07/13/2017, 10:26 AM
FWIW I'm not really seeing anything out of the ordinary in the picture above.

Smokey Stover
07/13/2017, 11:26 AM
Until last night the tenticals ended/emerged right at the end of the hard skeleton.
Now this clearer gelatinous layer comes out and covers about an inch, To an inch and a half of the hard skeleton. I thought it might be bad. But I can see the streaks of color going up to what I hope is a new layer/ring of tenticals, Which would be good.
I know the photo quality is bad. And the coral is in a half-way QT acryllic holding observation tank until I'm sure that nothing bad is going into the DT.
BTW I have seen Spirobid worms, Vermited snails and Astreina starfish now in the coral QT. Will the Bayer dip get rid of them?

Haunt
07/13/2017, 11:45 AM
The Bayer dip might affect the Asterina stars, but the other two will probably survive. I'm not really sure why you would want to do a Bayer dip to rid yourself of these creatures though. Spirorbid worms are harmless, the Asterina stars can be removed by hand as you see them and the population of Vermetid snails usually declines as the tank gets older. You can also seal the tube shut with some super glue gel too.

Smokey Stover
07/13/2017, 02:02 PM
Thanks Haunt,
I was going to dip anyway, for all the other bad things and the things that I can't see.
I know it's probably only a matter of time before they get in one way or another.But I have to try. So far i've been lucky. I have two different Ricordia, Two types of Zoa, Two kinds of Hammers, And a Favite in the DT. I thnk the GSP will stay in half-way house.
No pests or nuisance critters yet.

Etoimos
07/19/2017, 04:30 AM
Its hard to tell in your pic but does it look anything like the clear-ish stuff in my photo?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170719/256d6dc437ebe0abc499e02672a4178e.jpg

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Smokey Stover
07/19/2017, 06:38 AM
Yea, sort of, May be a different type of FS. It does retract into the hard skeleton when lights out. It looks like it spills out over the edge and fills with water like the tenticals.
Now I'm thinking that must be the part that builds up the stalk.

Etoimos
07/19/2017, 06:49 AM
I cant recall of mine retracts when the lights go out or not (out of town right now). I think mine is the stalk growing, but I'm new to this hobby and dont really know for sure either.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk