PDA

View Full Version : trigger compatability

Andrew D
07/12/2017, 09:40 PM
About a year ago, after a trip to Hawaii, I bought a small picasso trigger which is the state fish and quite striking. Kids really wanted it. I knew that I'd have to remove it eventually because it isn't reef safe but I figured I had a couple of years too enjoy it. It's eating well and growing quite fast, probably about 3 inches now in size. Anyway, my kids want to buy me a fish for my birthday and a store is holding a baby clown trigger for me, similar size to the picasso when I first got it. If I introduced the clown to the tank with the larger picasso, am I asking for trouble? It is a well stocked 350G, lots of tangs and other busy fish. WOuld appreciate your thoughts and experience.

BigBlueTang
07/12/2017, 09:45 PM
About a year ago, after a trip to Hawaii, I bought a small picasso trigger which is the state fish and quite striking. Kids really wanted it. I knew that I'd have to remove it eventually because it isn't reef safe but I figured I had a couple of years too enjoy it. It's eating well and growing quite fast, probably about 3 inches now in size. Anyway, my kids want to buy me a fish for my birthday and a store is holding a baby clown trigger for me, similar size to the picasso when I first got it. If I introduced the clown to the tank with the larger picasso, am I asking for trouble? It is a well stocked 350G, lots of tangs and other busy fish. WOuld appreciate your thoughts and experience.

I personally have no experience with either of those fish, but here's what I've learned reading others stories. The clown will most likely be fine for at least a couple of years, they're usually model citizens, and then one day they snap. Of course, YMMV bu that's simply what I've learned.

cougareyes
07/12/2017, 10:51 PM
Neither one of those fish will be safe in a reef long term. When they are small some have had success. When when they get larger they will almost always become destructive. You never know when that happens, I wouldn't keep them in a reef.

humaguy
07/13/2017, 11:10 AM
clowns should never be trusted, asking for trouble, lol..

scooter31707
07/13/2017, 01:51 PM
clowns should never be trusted, asking for trouble, lol..

Indeed...IME most of them have a on/off switch. It's just a matter of time of when they going to turn it on. I would not recommend during it. Once he starts getting bigger and mature, and feels like he doesn't have enough room, then it could very well go on to be a killing machine.

joecc
07/13/2017, 02:12 PM
I have a friend who had a clown trigger in a 300. No problems for quite a while.

Then one day it went on a rampage and killed nearly every fish in his tank, including fish much bigger than it was

Andrew D
07/13/2017, 04:01 PM
Thanks everyone. Although most didn't really answer the actual question asked about trigger compatibility with each other, it seems like the clown is a bad choice even amongst triggers. WIll look for something else.

cougareyes
07/13/2017, 08:07 PM
As far as compatibility the clown and picasso will be fine together. For the most part the clown would be the most aggressive, but the picasso has already been in the tank for a while so there's that.

In a tank that size and a 3" picasso and a smaller clown; in reality they will probably not even bother with each other. Small clown triggers grow up to be quite different in temperament than those that come in at a larger size. In my experience both the picasso and clown triggers grow rather slowly.

Mishri
07/14/2017, 03:47 PM
if you were interested in another trigger, I really like the way the niger trigger looks.. the dark fins make them interesting to watch. I might be getting one for my 300 gallon.. still haven't decided. I had one 13 years ago.

Andrew D
07/15/2017, 09:25 AM
if you were interested in another trigger, I really like the way the niger trigger looks.. the dark fins make them interesting to watch. I might be getting one for my 300 gallon.. still haven't decided. I had one 13 years ago.

Great suggestion. I'm also now thinking about the black trigger, sticking with the Hawaii theme. When we were there we snorkelled with large schools of them and the contrast with the teal water was just beautiful.

Andrew D
07/15/2017, 09:26 AM
lol. I just realized that the black and the niger are one and the same. Great minds eh?

alton
07/15/2017, 09:55 AM
The black and the niger are two different fish

BigBlueTang
07/15/2017, 11:22 AM
The black and the niger are two different fish

Yup. The "Black Durgeon" Trigger(Melichthys niger) and the Niger Trigger(Odonus niger) are two different fish! I got mixed up when I first looked at them as well.

Fonn
07/15/2017, 01:29 PM
Clown is the second most aggressive trigger, IMO, after blue lines. They're unpredictable and tend to dig up sands as well.

humaguy
07/15/2017, 06:32 PM
Thanks everyone. Although most didn't really answer the actual question asked about trigger compatibility with each other, it seems like the clown is a bad choice even amongst triggers. WIll look for something else.

Lol, really, you cant trust any trigger, with anything, esp other triggers. Some are more aggressive than others, and worse, the level of aggression varies from individual to individual. So there is no way to gauge it. Clowns, undulates, queens, fuscus, tend to be the "worst" or most aggressive, but any trigger can be a pita and quickly destroy a tank, if it wants to. Just a heads up. A few years back my dt had around 20 different triggers in it, and the hawaiian black became a holy terror. Good luck, and post pics! TK

humaguy
07/15/2017, 06:35 PM
Yup. The "Black Durgeon" Trigger(Melichthys niger) and the Niger Trigger(Odonus niger) are two different fish! I got mixed up when I first looked at them as well.

looks very similar to m. indicus, both get very big and can be very aggressive.

humaguy
07/15/2017, 06:42 PM
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m537/humaguy/p-75007-Black-Trigger_zpswafeejsd.jpg
M niger

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m537/humaguy/Melichthys_indicus3453_zpsxt8tpyfi.jpg
M indicus

a few triggers in this pic
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m537/humaguy/d453b71f-11e7-497e-82c5-0f246a8ae0f5_zpsxu7aioar.jpg

OrionN
07/16/2017, 07:35 AM

a few triggers in this pic
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m537/humaguy/d453b71f-11e7-497e-82c5-0f246a8ae0f5_zpsxu7aioar.jpg
That is a lot of food to feed a tank. I guest that in only one reason why they should not be in a reef. Nice collection of fish.
How does the Emporator angle color development in that type of condition. Did you have problem with it reaching it full color potential?

Thanks

humaguy
07/16/2017, 07:43 PM
Lol, Minh, that tank was going thru about 7 Larry's flats and 1 40oz pe mysis evey week and i was changing 240 gal every 2-3 weeks. I think there are 10 trigs in the pic. The cinereus was around 8 inches here and would eat almost 1/3 of a larry's chunky on his own, the outrigger (not in pic) was the largest at around 12 inches, and would inhale massive amounts of mysis. The heavy feeding also helped keep them on the mellow side, which was great. The emp went from a tiny baby to full adult, older pic.

Kremis
07/17/2017, 12:19 AM
any Xanthichthys triggers are generally peaceful, same w/ Melichthys. i have a blue jaw in my 180 reef, its the most timid thing never bullies anything or even touches the rockwork

scooter31707
07/19/2017, 11:28 AM
I know them as Black Hawaiian Trigger

Mishri
07/19/2017, 04:58 PM
Melichthys niger is known as a black trigger

Melichthys indicus is known as an indian trigger,

Odonus niger is a niger trigger.

http://www.fishbase.se/tools/UploadPhoto/uploads/pa024246_odonus_niger.jpg

They are known as the most peaceful triggers..

-I'm terrible at remembering names in general, let alone scientific names...