PDA

View Full Version : What's the longest you've kept Red spotted cardinals alive (Apogon parvulus)

pfan151
07/13/2017, 11:17 AM
Thinking of giving 10 of these a try. I can realistically feed 3 times a day consistently. Anyone had a group for more than a year without large amounts of losses?

Half Vaped
07/13/2017, 11:38 AM
In October 2015, I bought two packs of five from Diver's Den. About five died within the warranty period and another two died within a few weeks. One died a little more than a year after purchase. The last two I still have to this day.

Late last year, I bought another two packs of five. Pretty much the same story: three made it long term. So I still have five Cardinals in my 40 Breeder.

My luck hasn't been great with them, but they're so cool, I'm going to try to keep replenishing them. Not too easy since they sell very quickly on DD. They seem to be fairly hardy once they've settled past the first few weeks. I think multiple feedings really do make a difference--I feed thrice a day myself.

chgoblknazn
07/13/2017, 11:42 AM
I always loose half within a day of arrival and am usually down to 1 by weeks end. I've bought maybe 5 sets of 5. I had one last a couple months...and then it committed suicide. I found it on the floor. I'll never buy them again.

pfan151
07/13/2017, 12:12 PM
In October 2015, I bought two packs of five from Diver's Den. About five died within the warranty period and another two died within a few weeks. One died a little more than a year after purchase. The last two I still have to this day.

Late last year, I bought another two packs of five. Pretty much the same story: three made it long term. So I still have five Cardinals in my 40 Breeder.

My luck hasn't been great with them, but they're so cool, I'm going to try to keep replenishing them. Not too easy since they sell very quickly on DD. They seem to be fairly hardy once they've settled past the first few weeks. I think multiple feedings really do make a difference--I feed thrice a day myself.

I might try. Just not sure I want to deal with having to quarantine the same fish every year. Wish they were as easy as the threadfin cardinals