PDA

View Full Version : question about permanent copper tank

Zacktosterone
07/13/2017, 05:05 PM
i've got a tank thats going to be established with copper running through it... which is my plan. it won't always have high concentrations of copper but it will have copper used in it from time to time.... by copper i mean cupramine. is there anything i should worry about in terms of the cycled dry rock that's in there now? i know that i can never use it for anything else ever again but still.

scooter31707
07/19/2017, 11:11 AM
I don't know if it will kill the bacteria over time, but you will not be able to have inverts or corals and no pods. IMO, it is not healthy to have a fish in cooper more than 30 days.

Zacktosterone
07/19/2017, 11:15 AM
I don't know if it will kill the bacteria over time, but you will not be able to have inverts or corals and no pods. IMO, it is not healthy to have a fish in cooper more than 30 days.

They're in a copper cocentration of 0.45 now. And everyone looks fine and eating. This tank is specifically for fish quarantine

ReefKeeper64
07/19/2017, 11:44 AM
Consider chloroquine phosphate instead of copper. It is much easier to work with to maintain an effective dose vs copper.

Zacktosterone
07/19/2017, 12:02 PM
Consider chloroquine phosphate instead of copper. It is much easier to work with to maintain an effective dose vs copper.

Cupramine is very easy to work with and maintain

JustinM
07/19/2017, 08:59 PM
Cupramine is very easy to work with and maintain

I agree, cupramine is much easier to work with and maintain than CP. you can't test for CP. CP is great for the one and done dose but wrasses can't be in CP. I have never had a fish act poorly with cupramine. I wouldn't keep rock in the qt though, that may make it hard to maintain.

I have a constantly running 40 breeder that always has low levels of cupramine in it, .1 or so, until a fish is added. Never had an ammonia issue, cupramine is very gentle on biological filtration.

Zacktosterone
07/20/2017, 07:44 AM
I agree, cupramine is much easier to work with and maintain than CP. you can't test for CP. CP is great for the one and done dose but wrasses can't be in CP. I have never had a fish act poorly with cupramine. I wouldn't keep rock in the qt though, that may make it hard to maintain.

I have a constantly running 40 breeder that always has low levels of cupramine in it, .1 or so, until a fish is added. Never had an ammonia issue, cupramine is very gentle on biological filtration.

Thank you for participating in the actual question. I know the levels will have to be watched but I've got a lot of test drops lol. I wanted to make an active cycled quarantine that utilises copper. That way. Every single Friggen fish that comes into my display has been properly treated so I eliminate the chance for ich