PDA

View Full Version : Center bracing...

WillsNano63
07/13/2017, 08:01 PM
Hello All,
Before I fill my 55 gal. glass (tall - 21") aquarium with water for the second time, I had placed three braces across the top (there is no top moulding when I picked it up 2nd hand)
Two on each end and one in the centre.
This was done to help keep he aquarium from "bowing" out once I've filled it with water. (for those who don't know why I did this)
What I'm wondering is - would it be wise to perhaps install a small piece of glass directly below the centre bracing at each end (front/back).
Doing this extra measure, I wondered if I should or would it create stress on the aquarium glass or not? I placed this small piece of glass on the inside of the aquarium directly under the cross brace to help support the brace.
Thanks!
Willsnano! https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0-A5JefxOzEQlVSNHBwRWNQVXc

I hope this is the photo link i took of the bracing.

mcgyvr
07/14/2017, 07:14 AM
The small pieces won't cause any problems and will help to increase the shear strength of those braces..
I would have eurobraced the tank though instead if I wanted to use it..

WillsNano63
07/14/2017, 12:52 PM
The small pieces won't cause any problems and will help to increase the shear strength of those braces..
I would have eurobraced the tank though instead if I wanted to use it..
I was considering the eurobrace but having a MarineLand Emperor 400 filter hanging off the back, this wold be in the way of the bracing and deem insufficient to the bracing of the tank this is why I decided to go with the cross bracing. Thanks for your response btw!
:)

WillsNano63
07/14/2017, 12:53 PM
Would**

WillsNano63
07/14/2017, 12:59 PM
So are you maybe suggesting that the type of bracing I choose is inadequate? curious is all! thanks!

ca1ore
07/14/2017, 01:26 PM
Just replicate the bracing on the tank when it was new (if there is a way to know that). That mass market tanks use cheap plastic braces certainly means that a more robust glass one will be more than enough.

WillsNano63
07/15/2017, 05:30 AM
Just replicate the bracing on the tank when it was new (if there is a way to know that). That mass market tanks use cheap plastic braces certainly means that a more robust glass one will be more than enough.
Yea, I know all about those plastic (useless) top mouldings. I don't know why on earth the mfg would bother using on an aquarium that has a 3/8" thick glass frame. It's like building a house out of concrete and having 1x4's as a foundation. Makes no sense anyways.
As for he who builds his own aquarium - it has no upper OR lower moulding(s).
I've seen people who have used cross bracing and have been very successful with this application. I think that the trick to it is to keep the glass used for bracing - in my case; 3/8" thick glass = aquarium glass thickness so I went with the same thickness as that for bracing with of course, supports for the middle bracing and used the ends of the aquarium for supports at both ends of the bracing.
Thanks!

Breadman03
07/15/2017, 09:02 AM
Yea, I know all about those plastic (useless) top mouldings. I don't know why on earth the mfg would bother using on an aquarium that has a 3/8" thick glass frame. It's like building a house out of concrete and having 1x4's as a foundation. Makes no sense anyways.

As for he who builds his own aquarium - it has no upper OR lower moulding(s).

I've seen people who have used cross bracing and have been very successful with this application. I think that the trick to it is to keep the glass used for bracing - in my case; 3/8" thick glass = aquarium glass thickness so I went with the same thickness as that for bracing with of course, supports for the middle bracing and used the ends of the aquarium for supports at both ends of the bracing.

Thanks!

I think the plastic trim, excluding the cross bracing, is just the most cost effective way to finish the edges and prevent damage to the edge of the glass. Consider the amount of time that would need to be invested in polishing edges and any extra packaging materials. It's probably just cheaper to slap some molded plastic over it and call it a day.