PDA

View Full Version : Predatory Marine Worm

Kharn
07/14/2017, 04:37 PM
Hello

I'm wandering if someone can help me on this as I'm having a difficult time sourcing information based on the very odd question at hand...

So far most of the responses I've received based around this related question are "I caught and killed one of these last week, you could of had it for free!".

Originally my question was "Can anyone help me get more information on this specific species of worm Eunice Aphroditois" but that has since changed slightly to, can anyone give me more information on Eunice worms.

Most want to get rid of them but I'm rather intrigued by them and want to know more....

The reason I want(ed) Eunice Aphroditois specifically was because it was the species I had seen on the internet that looked relatively large and also didn't typically live hidden within rocks but created a burrow in sand.

Is there anyone on here with some form of extensive knowledge on the species Eunice that I can talk to and get some specific questions answered?

CPdude
07/14/2017, 05:03 PM
You are not the only one pal, i have several eunicids in my tank and they are safe helpful scavengers as they are a different species from Eunice Aphroditois. I think eunicids are really misunderstood as newbies and even advanced people will always think a eunicid is a bobbit worm because of that 1 bobbit worm video snatching fish. This is not the case, there hundreds of eunicids and only a few are the tank destroying ones, just like the fire worms, not all are bad. In my opinion, eunicid worms ARE reef safe but needs to be monitored.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk

CPdude
07/14/2017, 05:04 PM
I have some knowledge on eunicid worms cause I research a whole lot on them when i first found out i had 1 in my tank. Now i have like 4?

Kharn
07/14/2017, 05:39 PM
Eunice worms like many/most other creatures come in many shapes and sizes which is why my original search for Eunice Aphroditois was always met with the same generic responses as I already mentioned.

So I refined my question, is E.aphroditois unique in its method of hunting, or do other/all Eunice Worms utilize the same method if in barren sand only environments?

CPdude
07/15/2017, 02:01 AM
Actually the wild E.aphroditois in the coastlines of my country do not actually use that hunting method, they crawl out of their burrows and grab whatever food they can find, be it dead fish or macroalgae, if the opportunity presents, a large E.aphroditois will take another small creature. It seems all other eunicids do the same going around finding food thing and for now only E.Aphroditois is unique in its hunting strategy. But in a home aquarium,I do not think it will do that unless you give it a very very deep sandbed.