PDA

View Full Version : Weird ? salinity level

nashorn
07/15/2017, 03:43 PM
I can't reason this out?
I use a Milwaukee seawater refractometer. I have calibrated using distilled water and measure it again a float type hydrometer.
I have also test on other reefers water and dealers water.
So as far as I can tell it's accurate.

Here what's weird
I have not change the tank water since Oct. I topoff using only tap waterand prime.
I use a tunze plumb into a kalk reactor.
The is salinity is stable at 1.026 since oct (I did do one adjustment 1.025 in Jan)
I thought this might be the pattern of salinity adjustment.
Yes I measure the salinity in oct with meter and hydrometer.

I do run a skimmer and empty once a week.
I am dosing volka and 3 part.
Also running a Zeovit reactor just to grew the anaerobic bacteria defeat the coral. Not following the instructions.

How can the salinity not go down ?

outssider
07/15/2017, 04:13 PM
dosing alk/cal/mag will increase your salinity....

bertoni
07/15/2017, 09:30 PM
I agree. It's possible that the 3-part is maintaining salinity. In some systems, the three-part can raise the SG measurably in a month or so.

tmz
07/16/2017, 12:51 PM
Tap water may add some too.

nashorn
07/16/2017, 05:39 PM
Ok that makes sense
Guess I'll put the ca reactor addition on hold for now

I was thinking tap water too but when I test it has a SG of 1.00
I had thought the skimmer didn't remove any salt

Gladmaker
07/16/2017, 06:24 PM
I'm not understanding why you would think the salinity would go down. Salt does not evaporate. Your top off replaces the evaporated water and keeps the salinity at the proper level without adding any more salt. i don't think the skimmer would remove enough salt to count.

bertoni
07/16/2017, 09:02 PM
Skimmate sometimes seems to make a difference in SG for some tanks. I agree that the change should be very gradual, if noted at all.

nashorn
07/17/2017, 05:34 PM
Since my salinity fluctuate quite a bit when I was doing water changes. I had assume it was the skimmer removing the salt.

Gladmaker
07/17/2017, 06:44 PM
Since my salinity fluctuate quite a bit when I was doing water changes. I had assume it was the skimmer removing the salt.

Did you check the salinity of the water you added before you added it to the tank? It needs to be close to what the tank water is before adding it. Some things don't like a quick change in salinity. I haven't found the skimmer to make a noticeable difference in salinity.

bertoni
07/17/2017, 07:08 PM
I agree that the salinity shouldn't be fluctuating much due to water changes. How much of a change do you see?