PDA

View Full Version : would you add support for a 180

rBlair
07/15/2017, 04:28 PM
I just moved to my new house (the house is less than a yr old), and went to the crawl space to figure out how to support the floor for where I plan to put my 180. It ends up it will sit directly between two triple 2x10 beams that are 5 ft apart. One beam is under the wall the tank will sit up against and the other would be about 2.5 ft in front of the tank. Floor joists are 2x10 and 16 on center and the tank will run perpendicular to the joists.

I'm thinking it may not do much to put jacks etc under that. Maybe just add some blocking?

ca1ore
07/15/2017, 04:47 PM
I don't think you run much risk of structural failure, but even a small floor deflection can cause a tank to fail. 180 is the point to me at which a tank becomes 'really heavy' and I always like to have vertical-to-ground supports on all four corners. Better to have strength you don't need than need strength you don't have. Jack post not necessary, doubled 2x4s will work fine. I am, however, a founding member of overbuilders Annonymous :lol:

Horace
07/15/2017, 04:49 PM
I've got a 180g and 12in joists in brand new build. I braced mine. That is over 2k lbs all in. Prob closer to 2.5k.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

GQsmooth
07/15/2017, 05:32 PM
180g is fine with no support, as long as your perpendicular with the floor joists and close to an outside or load bearing wall.

Clowning_Around
07/16/2017, 06:00 AM
Well to answer it depends... The truth is we haven't been told how much these member are already loaded with. Without doing a lot of figuring I would assume for example the triple joist/beam wasnt put in just for the fun of it and may have some capacity but might not either. To err on the side of caution, I would run additional support for you added point loads, maybe somethingas simple as an extension of a 2x4 stand underneath drpending on heights...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sounds Fishy
07/16/2017, 09:12 AM
I had a simular set up with my 220 gallon,and I put a couple supports in,underneath,not because I thought I needed it,but so I could sleep at night.

rBlair
07/16/2017, 10:06 AM
thanks everyone - after thinking more about it and reading the responses it does make sense to add the supports - that way I don't re-think it after its already full

better to spend a few bucks now and be done