PDA

View Full Version : Storing RO water in garage during summers

Reefpuck
07/15/2017, 08:54 PM
Wanting to setup my RO/DI unit in the garage, that will keep a trash barrel topped off with a float switch.

Question is...it get's hot here in Texas during the summers...and I'm wondering if the heat can affect the water. Kinda like if you leave a water bottle in your hot car for a few days...water starts tasting different.

I'll be using the water on a weekly basis for water changes and top off...so it'll have good turn over.

danferd2002
07/16/2017, 12:35 AM
Its the container that leaches into the water at higher temperatures. The water itself will be fine. The other problem i see is adding the hot water to the tank during water changes.

Blabomb
07/16/2017, 02:39 AM
Its the container that leaches into the water at higher temperatures. The water itself will be fine. The other problem i see is adding the hot water to the tank during water changes.

Would a Brute trash can be sturdy enough to avoid leaching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danferd2002
07/16/2017, 08:51 AM
I can't positively say yes but there are tons of people that use them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Cthehentz
07/16/2017, 08:57 AM
I bought a brand new unused food grade blue barrel for water storage here in Las Vegas, my garage is insulated but temps can average 110 in late afternoons and water temp is around 97 throughout the summer. Must keep your RODI in good working order and you won't have any problems. As for mixing I just fill the brute and allow it to circulate in the house for a good day.

n2585722
07/16/2017, 01:09 PM
The temp should not be a problem for an ATO. I have my RODI in the garage along with the storage tanks for fresh salt water and DI for top off. My system does a auto refill on the DI storage tank so the RODI unit makes several gallons at a time. It is easier on the RODI unit doing this. I also do auto water changes 3 times a day. The temp differece does not seem to be an issue with the small amount of water added or exchanged at one time. I live close to you in Texas and this is not an issue for me. If you do a larger water change at a time then the temp will be an issue.

outssider
07/16/2017, 04:00 PM
having ro/di on a float switch where it only goes on for short time then shuts is a bad idea because the first minute or two out of the ro has high tds, this will use up your resin quickly. many of us here at rc divert the first minute or two out of the ro down the drain and make large quantities ro/di at one time.

45commando
07/16/2017, 06:56 PM

I purchased "Food Grade" grey Brute garbage cans (There was a food grade sticker on the cans), so leaching shouldn't be an issue with these.

five.five-six
07/17/2017, 11:32 AM

I have beeen storing SHTF RO water in a 35 gal brute for 4 years in my garage. I'm jumping in on this thread because I am wondering if it's ok to use it for start up mix on my new to me biocube 29 or should I just dump it and make new water?

I'm also wondering if RO/DI water would be harder on the brute or cause it to leach more. TYIA

karimwassef
07/17/2017, 11:54 AM
I use a Rubbermaid stock tank with no issues in the TX heat.

Reefpuck
07/17/2017, 12:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I should be fine setting it up in the garage.

TUNDRA_85
07/18/2017, 10:11 AM
I use two 55 gallon Brutes, 1 for RODI and 1 for salt mix. Have been for the about the last 6 months. No ill effects from the heat in my garage.

Gladmaker
07/18/2017, 10:34 AM
I think the biggest issue in the garage would be exhaust from a vehicle. As long as the water is not close to the rear of the vehicle, or the vehicle is not allowed to idle in the garage, it should be OK.

karimwassef
07/18/2017, 10:54 AM
My entire tank is in my garage. Built in so the front is a window into the foyer.

No ill effects that I can discern - but I have a vent fan that pumps gallons of fresh air directly into the tank water.

reelredfish
04/09/2019, 10:10 PM
Also in north Texas and have had zero issues with mixing station in garage. Now I am trying to setup some QT tanks and those will need to be in garage and the heat worries me.

Nrdau
04/12/2019, 06:38 AM
I use to store my todo water in a Rubbermaid trash can in my garage and never had any problems