PDA

View Full Version : Reef safe 75 gallon stocking

jasert39
07/15/2017, 09:35 PM
My standard 75 aga with 30 gallon sump is working it's way through a cycle. I'd like to put together a completely coral safe stick list. How does this sound?

Pair of clowns
Lawnmower blenny
Green clown goby
Firefish
Kole tang

Any additional suggestions? Id love a wrasse and a yellow coris was a suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OrionN
07/16/2017, 07:27 AM
Clown gobies are not SPS safe. A pair of them will clear a patch on you SPS to form their nest which damage you SPS where it can least afford it. Often the dead area spread from there. I tried clown gobies three time, it happened every time once the gobies mature. Because of this I no longer keep clown gobies in my reef. It possible that if you just have one, they will no into their spawning ritual and will not damage your SPS.

Cliving1
07/16/2017, 05:04 PM
Flasher or fairy wrasse would be nice in addition

EthanHawaii
07/16/2017, 06:30 PM
I've heard Kole tangs can be a little aggressive, especially with the Firefish. But it might work.

As Cliving1 said, Wrasses are a great addition, but if you get something like a Melanurus Wrasse (which may eat shrimp) add it after the Firefish because my Melanurus Wrasse was a little aggressive when I added my Firefish after it. It's my favorite fish though. It's never had a disease or parasite ever.

jd371
07/17/2017, 11:06 AM
I have a 75g with 2 T/P Clowns, Melanurus, Flasher, Firefish and Copper Band Butterfly. My Melanurus has only eaten some Peppermints that I put in the tank to take care of some Aptasia, but I chalk that up to the the size of the Peppermints being small. He doesn't bother with either of my shrimp ( Fire and Cleaner) and snails (Nassarius, Turbos and Conch). The CBB falls into the same category, although mine has taken care of Aptasia that was in my tank he hasn't touched any of the corals at all.

scooter31707
07/19/2017, 11:24 AM
I've heard Kole tangs can be a little aggressive, especially with the Firefish. But it might work.

As Cliving1 said, Wrasses are a great addition, but if you get something like a Melanurus Wrasse (which may eat shrimp) add it after the Firefish because my Melanurus Wrasse was a little aggressive when I added my Firefish after it. It's my favorite fish though. It's never had a disease or parasite ever.

I think you are thinking about the Kole and Lawnmower Blenny. Heard plenty of horror stories of that combo, but haven't heard of any for the Kole and Firefish combo.

Jeremy1988
07/19/2017, 11:48 AM
Clown gobies are not SPS safe. A pair of them will clear a patch on you SPS to form their nest which damage you SPS where it can least afford it. Often the dead area spread from there. I tried clown gobies three time, it happened every time once the gobies mature. Because of this I no longer keep clown gobies in my reef. It possible that if you just have one, they will no into their spawning ritual and will not damage your SPS.

Yes thank god someone said this! Hell no them bastards are not reef safe at all with SPS! Mainly procillpora and ACROS! Dear god, they don't just nip they destroyed mine! Well the one did...it took me a little while to figure it out but once I did he was gone! He killed my birdsnest almost the procillpora and blue acro. I also agree with what you said...I think its once they mature...he didn't do it when he was younger...but I would say they mature to eating the stuff in 10 months or so...wouldn't you agree?

Jeremy1988
07/19/2017, 11:55 AM
My standard 75 aga with 30 gallon sump is working it's way through a cycle. I'd like to put together a completely coral safe stick list. How does this sound?

Pair of clowns
Lawnmower blenny
Green clown goby
Firefish
Kole tang

Any additional suggestions? Id love a wrasse and a yellow coris was a suggestion.

The lawnmower blenny would maybe be okay...you gotta be careful with them....I'v heard they can be problems in reef tanks...I cant remember what corals they sometimes bother...I think SPS? Some help here everyone, the clown goby or green, or war paint...all them ones are no goes for SPS...already mentioned that.

I would really be weary of that Kole in a 75...ehhhhh...man that's gonna be tight when he gets older...I suggest a tomini tang, they only get 6" which is a bit smaller than the kole...I have one there just as pretty once they mature, there tails turn blueish and there more peaceful I believe. I'v been diving before in keywest a lot, and tangs do swim a crap ton...so I think the people saying they need bigger longer tanks is accurate. Firefish are cool...may I add a scissortail dartfish or gungedon dart, or zebra dart....I find them more interesting...the dartfish can really kinda contusion there bodies in the water and flip around which to me looks cooler!

As for fish...dare to be different...go ahead and step ur game up...get you a Tanaka Pygmy Wrasse, Blue assessor, pepperiment basslet or swalsei basslet, what the hell, lets go crazy, bi-color chromis too...and for craps and giggles, go get you a wild caught pink skunk clown with NO anemone so they become better community fish with less aggression. If your really feeling froggy get you a geometric pygmy hawkfish. And if you want to pollute the crap out of your tank and spend more money on fish food, go get the prized sunburst Anthias! There no go forth and do great things!

EthanHawaii
07/19/2017, 12:49 PM
I think you are thinking about the Kole and Lawnmower Blenny. Heard plenty of horror stories of that combo, but haven't heard of any for the Kole and Firefish combo.

I've never had one so don't know for sure. Good to know about the Kole and Blenny for future tanks!

jasert39
07/19/2017, 02:02 PM
Yes thank god someone said this! Hell no them bastards are not reef safe at all with SPS! Mainly procillpora and ACROS! Dear god, they don't just nip they destroyed mine! Well the one did...it took me a little while to figure it out but once I did he was gone! He killed my birdsnest almost the procillpora and blue acro. I also agree with what you said...I think its once they mature...he didn't do it when he was younger...but I would say they mature to eating the stuff in 10 months or so...wouldn't you agree?Thank you for this info, definitely taken into account. Kole, 2 clowns, Firefish and a wrasse is my thinking now...if the wrasse picks at fix I'm alright with, rather replace them than corals

jasert39
07/19/2017, 02:06 PM
Thank you for this info, definitely taken into account. Kole, 2 clowns, Firefish and a wrasse is my thinking now...if the wrasse picks at fix I'm alright with, rather replace them than corals

Sent from my SM-G930V using TapatalkPicks at cuc*

Kremis
07/19/2017, 02:10 PM
kept 3 yellow clown gobies by themselves with acros sps birdsnest whatever and no harm done. friend has a green one (single) with acros etc. and no problem. i think as long as you only have one you should be good

EthanHawaii
07/19/2017, 03:40 PM
Thank you for this info, definitely taken into account. Kole, 2 clowns, Firefish and a wrasse is my thinking now...if the wrasse picks at fix I'm alright with, rather replace them than corals

What kind of wrasse are you thinking about?

jasert39
07/19/2017, 05:20 PM
What kind of wrasse are you thinking about?Leaning towards melanurus

EthanHawaii
07/19/2017, 06:35 PM
Leaning towards melanurus

Nice! They're great fish.