PDA

View Full Version : Is this Amphipod eating my Zoas?

yellow_tang2009
07/16/2017, 12:23 AM
This small palythoa colony has been having issues the last few days and I think I narrowed it down to my calcium being 500PPM (although other colonies including utter chaos are fine).

I dipped it in Revive and did a water change. (May need another)

However, tonight I noticed amphipods attacking one of the side polyps. Do you think it died and they are cleaning up?

Also, I believe there is a small bristle star pictured here. They are beneficial, correct?

Thank you!

seabass
07/17/2017, 03:27 AM
Yes, micro-brittle stars are beneficial. Some people report Gammarus roeseli pods to irritate or even damage zoanthids. Towards the bottom of the second pic, is that a tiny sundial snail (Heliacus variegatus)? If so, that would explain why your zoas are closed (as they are zoanthid predators).

MondoBongo
07/17/2017, 07:02 AM
i would bet that it died and they're cleaning it up. that's what happened to mine when they weren't doing so well.

i don't know that i agree that is a sun dial snail. looks like it is missing a lot of regular markings on the shell.

yellow_tang2009
07/17/2017, 09:25 AM
Yes, micro-brittle stars are beneficial. Some people report Gammarus roeseli pods to irritate or even damage zoanthids. Towards the bottom of the second pic, is that a tiny sundial snail (Heliacus variegatus)? If so, that would explain why your zoas are closed (as they are zoanthid predators).

Everything else in the tank is doing well which makes me think it is a pest issue. You can now see an area around one polyp where I noticed a few G. roeseli hanging out, and now the surrounding tissues appears damaged as though it has been consumed.

I have noticed a significant outbreak of small white snails, but that is the first time I have noticed a snail with those markings. I dipped the frag in Revive a couple of days ago. Should I try Iodine or just wait and hope they come back?

yellow_tang2009
07/17/2017, 09:36 AM
i would bet that it died and they're cleaning it up. that's what happened to mine when they weren't doing so well.

i don't know that i agree that is a sun dial snail. looks like it is missing a lot of regular markings on the shell.

I think it could also be Collonista amakusaensis (http://www.melevsreef.com/critters/collonista-snail)?

MondoBongo
07/17/2017, 11:11 AM
I think it could also be Collonista amakusaensis (http://www.melevsreef.com/critters/collonista-snail)?

that's likely. i've seen these little buggers pop up in my tank from time to time. there was a point when the tank was about a year old where they were absolutely everywhere. i assume one of my CuC came in gravid.

yellow_tang2009
07/20/2017, 07:25 PM
I put the frag on a rack in the top of the tank away from the Amphipods (G. roeseli) and they are slowly opening back up. I am not sure if they were causing the issue or just exacerbated the already stressed polyps. What do I do now?