PDA

View Full Version : New Biocube 32 (Transfer from old tank) - Need Guidance

Alvin_Reef
07/16/2017, 07:03 PM
Here's a bit of history, I currently have a 110 gal tank with live sand and LR that's been running for about 9 years. I lost live stock a while, except for my 2 mated clown fish. They are currently still in this 110 gal tank, but always hang out in the one corner. I decided to downgrade to save some space and put my daughter piano where the 110 gal tank is.

Anyways, here is what I have purchased:

Biocube 32
InTank Media Basket
Koralia Nano 425
Comline DOC Protein Skimmer 9001
Purigen
Eheim Jager 100w Heater
Seachem Stability (still not sure if I even need this)
Seachem Prime
60lbs Nature Oceans Live Samoa sand (I'm going for a DSB, do I need more??)
Going to purchase Red Sea Coral Pro Salt (my old batch is as solid as a rock haha)

I have a lot of live rock in my current tank, BUT my t-5 lights crapped out a long time ago. I might buy a few more chunks of new live rock from the LFS with coraline, but will probably still use the one in my tank.

Anyways, I kind of need guidance along the way, because when I first started my 110 gal 9 years ago, I lost so many fish and spent so much $$$. The LFS didn't guide me correctly, they were just trying to make $$$.

I basically don't want my 2 perc clown fish to die in the transition to the new Biocube, and I want to do things right from the start so any new additions would be good to go.

So first off, i'm assuming I need to cycle the new tank, but i'm not sure if I should even bother with the Stability?

Should I go ahead and setup the tank without the skimmer and purigen for now to start the cycle?

I heard people cycling the tank with ammonia from ACE hardware since it's more controlled instead of the raw shrimp method?

My head is kind of all over the place right now as I'm not sure where to begin. Do I leave my Clown fish in the 110 gal for now, or transfer it to another spare tank (currently empty), but I can make a new batch of water for them, while the new Biocube is cycling? Basically concerned they might get stressed when i move the live rocks around to the new Biocube.

Ryan Darilek
07/16/2017, 11:48 PM
Here's a bit of history, I currently have a 110 gal tank with live sand and LR that's been running for about 9 years. I lost live stock a while, except for my 2 mated clown fish. They are currently still in this 110 gal tank, but always hang out in the one corner. I decided to downgrade to save some space and put my daughter piano where the 110 gal tank is.

Anyways, here is what I have purchased:

Biocube 32
InTank Media Basket
Koralia Nano 425
Comline DOC Protein Skimmer 9001
Purigen
Eheim Jager 100w Heater
Seachem Stability (still not sure if I even need this)
Seachem Prime
60lbs Nature Oceans Live Samoa sand (I'm going for a DSB, do I need more??)
Going to purchase Red Sea Coral Pro Salt (my old batch is as solid as a rock haha)

I have a lot of live rock in my current tank, BUT my t-5 lights crapped out a long time ago. I might buy a few more chunks of new live rock from the LFS with coraline, but will probably still use the one in my tank.

Anyways, I kind of need guidance along the way, because when I first started my 110 gal 9 years ago, I lost so many fish and spent so much $$$. The LFS didn't guide me correctly, they were just trying to make $$$.

I basically don't want my 2 perc clown fish to die in the transition to the new Biocube, and I want to do things right from the start so any new additions would be good to go.

So first off, i'm assuming I need to cycle the new tank, but i'm not sure if I should even bother with the Stability?

Should I go ahead and setup the tank without the skimmer and purigen for now to start the cycle?

I heard people cycling the tank with ammonia from ACE hardware since it's more controlled instead of the raw shrimp method?

My head is kind of all over the place right now as I'm not sure where to begin. Do I leave my Clown fish in the 110 gal for now, or transfer it to another spare tank (currently empty), but I can make a new batch of water for them, while the new Biocube is cycling? Basically concerned they might get stressed when i move the live rocks around to the new Biocube.
I would go ahead and get your BC32 up and running so you can start its cycle. I personally don't think using ammonia to cycle is necessary for this size tank. I just used live sand and live rock and fed the tank with brine and my BC32 was fully cycled within 10 days. At 14 days I added my CUC and have been slowly adding since (I'm about fully stocked on fish and coral now). Use sand and water (and some of the LR) from your 110 to fill it and I think it'll cycle pretty quick. I'll attach a picture of my 32 for reference, but I haven't added too much to the stock filtration (no skimmer or UV or anything) and it is doing very well (I've got two wavemakers, and recommend those). The big upgrade I did that was well worth the cost was upgrading the stock lighting to a retrofit LED kit (went with Steve's LEDs) and now have more than enough lighting that looks great and has an awesome Hurricane X controller. Don't be overwhelmed with the process, it'll be just fine! Please feel free to reach out any time as you have questions along the way and good luck!! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170717/711dabcc5d03d65a377dd539ccd39858.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Alvin_Reef
07/17/2017, 02:00 PM
Your tank looks great! How much live sand do you have in your tank?

So, I was told to NOT use the sand and water from my 110 gal, and to start new.

What are the opinions out there on reusing water and sand?

If it's ok to reuse the water, then do I go through the cycle again? (adding shrimp, etc.), or just go ahead and add the percs as the water is from the old tank.

Then just do weekly water changes with new fresh saltwater?

Ryan Darilek
07/18/2017, 12:55 AM
Thanks man! I've got 50lbs in there. If you haven't had any issues with parasites or anything bad from your existing tank and it's healthy, I don't see how transferring it to the new tank would be bad in any way (if I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me).
If you add the existing to the new, you won't go through a cycle. You might have a small spike, but just keep an eye on it and have a bottle of Prime handy just in case then continue on with your regularly scheduled water changes. I don't see any issues with this and imagine it should go pretty smoothly for you.
If anyone advises against Alvin doing this, please speak up :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

homer1475
07/18/2017, 06:02 AM
The problem with adding your old sand is your going to be transferring quite a bit of detritus with it.

If you really want to, just use new sand and add a couple cups of your old sand to seed the new sand.

As far as using the old water, it will probably be fine, but if your going to throw it away in a weekly WC, why would you use it in a new tank? The bacteria you think you might be transferring over from the other tank is null and void as 99% of the bacteria populate hard surfaces and very little is in the water column.

Alvin_Reef
07/18/2017, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the response. Yah, for sure i'm doing new sand in the Biocube. The only reason I was thinking of doing the old water was so I can just go ahead and move my Clowns over right away?

So at this point, I may just seed my biocube with some of my old sand and my LR. Let it run with the filter (purigen) and the skimmer, then add my clown in 2 or so weeks?

Oh, question with some of the live rock I have in my old tank. Do I just kind of swish it around in some salt water before adding to the new tank? or scrub it a bit? I'm assuming i shouldn't do the RO water wash right?

imjdoggie
07/18/2017, 09:46 AM
Personally I would............

1. Get new sand
2. Use old live rock and water
3. Do not worry about a skimmer yet in a biocube.
4. Transfer everything same day even fish

I went from a 32 biocube to a 46 gallon bow front. I bought new sand and 20 gallons of saltwater from my lfs and transferred everything same day. That was roughly 3 weeks ago and everything is doing well.