PDA

View Full Version : moving anemone

TwentyfiveCents
07/16/2017, 07:50 PM
want to remove two anemones I have on a rock, how can this be done without hurting the anemone?

OrionN
07/18/2017, 03:44 PM
want to remove two anemones I have on a rock, how can this be done without hurting the anemone?
Very hard to remove anemones from rock without hurting them, IME. I just remove the rock and put it some where. ?next to the wall. Once they are off the rock you can easily remove them from the wall of your aquarium.

CoralsAddiction
07/18/2017, 05:07 PM
I usually just massage anemone foot. When it starts letting go I continue massaging it with a gentle peel off like movement.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U2X8dWomrdk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pfan151
07/18/2017, 05:24 PM

What type of anemone? Some aren't too bad like Magnifica, gigs are damn near impossible some times. I'm assuming you are talking about bubble tips. I'd try Orion's method if at all possible.

davocean
07/18/2017, 06:59 PM
I usually just massage anemone foot. When it starts letting go I continue massaging it with a gentle peel off like movement.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U2X8dWomrdk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is that my mag I got from you?

CoralsAddiction
07/18/2017, 07:07 PM
Is that my mag I got from you?

Nope, that one went to another member here when I took down my 60 :)
How's yours doing and the clowns?

davocean
07/18/2017, 07:49 PM
Nope, that one went to another member here when I took down my 60 :)
How's yours doing and the clowns?

Mag has been model citizen, stayed exactly where I scaped for him and placed him.
The clowns I received that were a pair were really close in size, they seemed to stick together, pretty much, but when I put that mag in the male went right to it, and the female would just look.
Later I caught a glimpse of what I'm pretty sure was the "male" chasing the female away, which leads me to suspect that maybe I actually have 2 females, maybe, just very passive...at this time.
I watch them daily and I swear the "male" is gaining to equal size...:headwally:

In a way if that is the case I kinda don't mind, while they are an exceptional pair, they are pretty darn similar, maybe I should pair them both up w/ new males(in separate tanks) and get a better cross and some variation in patterns between male and females, so we'll see...

TwentyfiveCents
07/18/2017, 08:16 PM
Its a RBTA and it also split so now I have two on the rock I want out of my tank, moving the rock cause I want a new aqua scape and putting the rock into my new tank.....can I use a power head and maybe blow it off?

davocean
07/18/2017, 09:23 PM
Sometimes pointing a PH at it does make it begin to move on it's own and easier to lift off, I've heard ice at foot may work, just be careful and peel gently like corals vid(sorry for slight hijack!)

TwentyfiveCents
07/18/2017, 11:01 PM
I would try to remove by hand like in the video but this RBTA is small and now that it split it's not helping at all, and they both are in small holes.....this is starting to turn into a real headache

CoralsAddiction
07/18/2017, 11:24 PM
they both are in small holes.....

That's probably the worst scenario for removing a nem. It's better to take out rock or just split the rock if it's big.
The easiest thing to do is to leave them in your tank and just let them be.

WLachnit
07/19/2017, 12:39 AM
I have used ice at their foot, but if they're in a small hole, I agree you will have to remove the rock. Too easy to damage the foot otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cliving1
07/19/2017, 05:10 AM
If you use ice, I hear puttin it in a ziploc bag works so you are not in direct contact with the anemone.

jah hoeva
07/19/2017, 08:33 AM
I've done the ice in a bag to remove a BTA. Bag was more to keep the tap water ice cube melt out of the tank in my case.

urbanrat84
08/04/2017, 01:19 AM
If its foot is down in a place you cant reach then you can try pointing strong flow at it to get it to go on the move, or split the rock to get clear access to the foot. I use the corner of a credit card from my wallet to gently lift up the edge of the foot. The anemone will react by thickening the flesh on that edge, making it easier to get the card further underneath. Go slowly and don't force it. The anemone will let go bit by bit. If you see a tiny rip form stop what you are doing and start on another area. If you cause a tear and see white string come out, be careful not to press on the area or more will be expelled.

Soluent1
08/04/2017, 07:09 AM
I bought six bubble tips from a private seller. They were all on rocks. While I was gently probing off the foot of one, the seller was hanging the rocks upside down above the water. The anemones would stretch out which helped In my effort to probe off the foot attachment. And two of them fell off the rocks to which they were attached. It took about five minutes for this to happen.

Steve Atkins
08/06/2017, 02:50 AM
I bought six bubble tips from a private seller. They were all on rocks. While I was gently probing off the foot of one, the seller was hanging the rocks upside down above the water. The anemones would stretch out which helped In my effort to probe off the foot attachment. And two of them fell off the rocks to which they were attached. It took about five minutes for this to happen.
Used this method when moving my Magnifica to its new tank. Worked very well and did no damage. Most of anemone remained in the water and just the foot and rock was held above it

Steve Atkins
08/06/2017, 03:48 AM
Deleted - double up