PDA

View Full Version : Who has the oldest firefish?

Bill Nye
07/17/2017, 12:09 PM
I have a purple fire fish that has been with me for around 5-6 years now. I bought him sometime in 2011 or early 2012. Recently the purple color in his body has faded and he is looking more drab in general, which I'm assuming is due to his age. He eats well and still swims in the current all day though.

I did some searches and no one really seems to know how long they live in captivity. I've seen 2-3 years up to 6 years but nothing definitive. What is the consensus?

Gar3th
07/17/2017, 02:21 PM
Mine lived till around 3 years and then just wasted away to nothing and disappeared, it was eating well right up until the end. I think you've done very well keeping yours going for that long.

GimpyFin
07/17/2017, 02:38 PM
I'd say 5-6 years and counting is pretty good. I had a purple for about 3.5 years before he recently passed. I still have his buddy, a helfrichi, that's been with me about 2 years now.

Bill Nye
07/17/2017, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the replies.

He has been with me through 2 moves and 4 tank changes. When I bought him he was the smallest firefish I had ever seen so I'm guessing he was pretty young so that has allowed him to last in my tank.

jd371
07/18/2017, 10:37 AM
I've had mine for 2 years, he was my first. Hardy fish, he survived 2 jumps. The first time was at the lfs when I was buying him, then a few months after I had him he jumped out while I was working in the tank. He spent a good few minutes behind the stand before I got him. Don't see him that much now with more fish in the tank, he spends most of the day in hiding. He's out for a few hours in the morning before the lights come on and he will come out from time to time for few minutes during the day.

mike61289
07/18/2017, 11:08 AM
I had a helfrichi firefish for 3 years before he randomly disappeared. Looking into getting a pair and hoping they'll last longer than my first one.

Bill Nye
07/18/2017, 01:42 PM
I've had mine for 2 years, he was my first. Hardy fish, he survived 2 jumps. The first time was at the lfs when I was buying him, then a few months after I had him he jumped out while I was working in the tank. He spent a good few minutes behind the stand before I got him. Don't see him that much now with more fish in the tank, he spends most of the day in hiding. He's out for a few hours in the morning before the lights come on and he will come out from time to time for few minutes during the day.

They are definitely hardier than you would think they are! I had to scoop the firefish out of the overflow recently and I thought he was gonna die as just laid breathing heavily on the bottom of the tank. The next day he was fine.

With Firefish I think its important there arent big boisterous fish. Mine has lived with two clown fish most of its life and now there is also black axial chromis which I added last year. This allows him to be out all the time and also get alot of food.

PAXpress
07/19/2017, 10:31 AM
I had two that were alive for two years. Lost both to jumping out even though I have a lid... Took lid off to feed, looked away and oh where'd they go?

Bill Nye
07/19/2017, 09:31 PM
I had two that were alive for two years. Lost both to jumping out even though I have a lid... Took lid off to feed, looked away and oh where'd they go?

Wow that is terrible luck. I had an anthias jump out the same way!