PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is with this algae/growth?

Niglin
07/17/2017, 10:45 PM
I've had this algae (diatoms?) growing like crazy for the past while in my 100 gal. The tank is established - 3yrs old, with 30% water changes done bi-weekly; parameters on master test kit are in the normal range : RE: ammonia, nitrates etc (lighting about 1w per gal). I have attached/running a reef octopus skimmer and an aquaclear filter with phosguard and active carbon as media. In any event, I have to clean the sh**t of the rocks and glass twice a day (seee attached photos), I'm stumped because nothing has much changed in 3 years and this came out of the blue. I do not want to get into buffering the water with chems (as it's killed my fish in the past), rather to address root problem(s). Any ideas reef gang? Thanks.

Niglin

karoboy
07/18/2017, 01:30 AM
I've had this algae (diatoms?) growing like crazy for the past while in my 100 gal. The tank is established - 3yrs old, with 30% water changes done bi-weekly; parameters on master test kit are in the normal range : RE: ammonia, nitrates etc (lighting about 1w per gal). I have attached/running a reef octopus skimmer and an aquaclear filter with phosguard and active carbon as media. In any event, I have to clean the sh**t of the rocks and glass twice a day (seee attached photos), I'm stumped because nothing has much changed in 3 years and this came out of the blue. I do not want to get into buffering the water with chems (as it's killed my fish in the past), rather to address root problem(s). Any ideas reef gang? Thanks.

Niglin
Hi sorry for that , but i will advise you to use Cynoclean and Coral Snow together and i believe it will go off your tank.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

bertoni
07/18/2017, 06:07 PM
I'm not completely sure. Are there any snails in the tank? If the pest is diatoms, a number of snails would be good grazers for the problem. What are the nitrate and phosphate levels?