PDA

View Full Version : Blue Tang Red Lesion

krullshards
07/18/2017, 09:04 AM
Hey guys.. My blue tang died last night. I've had it for over two years and he was doing very well. He was kept with other fish in a 125 gallon FOWLR. Other fish are doing well. Water quality seems to have gotten pretty bad in this tank as I've had a service company taking care of it, but apparently apart from routine water changes, no nitrate tests were done on it.

I'd gotten really busy with work projects and wasn't able to keep up with the tank either. Still, no other fish are showing any symptoms of anything. I'm currently planning a large (> 50%) water change to try to get the nitrates under control (they are showing off the chart on the API test kit).

Anyway, I wanted to post a few pictures to get an opinion on whether this was solely a water quality issue or a parasite that was able to take hold because water quality became so poor.

I pulled him out of the tank and did a 45 minute formalin dip last night then moved him into a small hospital tank with new salt water where I could dose further medication if necessary. Unfortunately he didn't survive the night. I'm very disappointed. I've had him since he was pretty tiny and he'd grown to 6" in length.

Here are some pictures.

Note the red lesion on the tail. The deterioration along his face that looks like MHLLE was also related to his recent troubles. I felt that that had happened as he wedged himself into the rocks when he was sick.

Thanks for any input.

krullshards
07/20/2017, 07:53 PM
Well, I did an 80 gallon water change on my 125. The rest of the fish seem much happier. I seem to be at ABOUT 40 ppm nitrate now. I'm planning another 50% water change sometime this weekend. Anyway, at this point I figure that the poor water quality killed my fish. If someone thinks there is something definitive from the above pictures, let me know.