PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! What's wrong with my fish???

AnthonyA9953
07/18/2017, 08:33 AM
Marine Betta Not eating or moving
For the past few days my marine betta has not ate anything or moved a great distance. All he'll do is stay still with his head down and tail up and every once and a while move while maintaining his upright position. He has always accepted prepared foods and this is extremely weird behavior. He has no spots on him and no rapid gill movement. However I did notice a scale that was about to fall off. I've had him for about 2 months in my 125 gal reef. I suspect it is swim bladder disorder (however he doesn't seem to be bloated) and any help resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AnthonyA9953
07/18/2017, 08:36 AM
Ok so when trying to feed him today he did come out and swim correctly although shortly after he revealed himself he fell to the sand and layed there. After about 5 seconds he got up and with some struggle went back to his cave. What's going on?

Smokey Stover
07/18/2017, 08:48 AM
Check/Test all your Waters Parameters and report back. Give the smart guys something more to work with. Salinity, Temp, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate at least.
Thats all I can think of.

AnthonyA9953
07/18/2017, 12:35 PM
Salinity- 1.025
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Temp-81 (heater is set to 78 but 81 is the true temp)
When I get home I will test nitrate also

AnthonyA9953
07/18/2017, 12:40 PM
I did do a larger than normal water change (35% instead of 20%, also the new saltwater was sitting in the garbage can circulating for about 2 weeks because I never had time to do the water change and I went on vacation.) He also didn't eat for the 6 days I was on vacation. Also, I noticed his behavior when I got back home.Maybe that info can help u guys out. Thanks.

AnthonyA9953
07/18/2017, 04:33 PM
He died so it's fine

Reef Bass
07/18/2017, 06:33 PM
Yeah that head down tail up "parked" / not moving position is not encouraging.

While it may be a moot point now, did it ever settle in to your tank? How was its behavior before you went on vacation? You mentioned that it seemed to be eating ok previously.

Any tank mates bully it? Everyone else looking ok?

Smokey Stover
07/18/2017, 06:54 PM
Darn, Sorry, They're one of my favorite fish. I suspected possibly an Ammonia/Nitrite spike. Hope the other tankmates are ok and it's just one of those mystery losses.