PDA

View Full Version : Salt water mixing question

afish70
07/18/2017, 10:28 AM
ok i have been making my own water for awhile now and have a really dumb question. I have an in-line TDS meter on my RODI system that usually ryns at .3 going in to DI and 0.0 coming out. When i take a sample of the water directly from the line it tests at 0.0. But when I test it in the bucket it goes up to .01 up as high as .1. Why is tis and shoudl i be worried. it is the same Brute can I have always used to mix the salt water in and thats all I use it for. Should I be worried? If so how do I fix this?

LuizW13
07/18/2017, 10:40 AM
There was a thread a couple of weeks ago regarding trace levels of ammonia in fresh salt water, i'm thinking maybe a similar situation applies to your TDS readings.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1931710

"The industrial processes used to aquire the different chemicals used in salt mix utilize ammonia to extract them, hence you will find some levels of ammonia in the salt mixes."

Ammonia and the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-02/rhf/index.php

"..some of the salt mix manufacturers do add products to their mix to help remove ammonia. Perhaps these products can be interfering with your ammonia test kit as is described by Randy in his article. You may want to call the salt mix manufacturer and ask them about this."

Maybe these salt extraction processes could have an effect on TDS as well.

Just a thought.

GimpyFin
07/18/2017, 10:44 AM
It could just be some leftover residue from mixing saltwater giving you a slight reading of .01 to .1.

Gladmaker
07/18/2017, 10:46 AM
If it's the same bucket you mix salt in, you are getting a residue of the salt mix in your fresh RO/DI water. Mixed saltwater will show tds, so I wouldn't be concerned about it as long as the water from your output is zero tds. Tds in mixed saltwater is OK, but tds in tap water is not because you don't know what it is.

afish70
07/18/2017, 11:05 AM
Yes it is in same bucket I mix my salt water in. I was going to use some white vinegar to clean it out. It's been a few months since I really cleaned it out. Good thing is there's no visible sludge or residue in the container.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gladmaker
07/18/2017, 03:54 PM
I personally wouldn't bother with it if there is no visible residue. What's left in the bucket is from water you have already put in your tank so there should be no problem unless some other contaminate has gotten into the bucket.

ReeferNoob4ever
07/19/2017, 10:24 AM
Personally, I always clean out my fill bucket before I mix salt water every time.

Gladmaker
07/19/2017, 04:07 PM
Personally, I always clean out my fill bucket before I mix salt water every time.

This is the best way to do it.
But, showing a small tds from the residue shouldn't be a problem as long as you're getting zero after the DI.