PDA

View Full Version : New tank, old liverock, will I need to recycle?

mginani
07/18/2017, 11:43 AM
My 90 gallon tank has a slow leak so I am buying a new tank that is very similar in size. I will use all of the old equipment and use the same 80 lbs of live rock that is currently in my old tank. I will use new sand and maybe seed with some of the old sand. I have a couple of small fish (clownfish and blenny) and hermits and snails and about 11 pieces of coral. I plan on setting it up and transferring everything all in one day once the new tank arrives.

My question is, will my new tank need to cycle or will I be fine since I am using the same liverock? Also, will I experience another diatom bloom like when I set-up my old tank several years ago?

Mishri
07/18/2017, 12:13 PM
you might get a minicycle in the form of a small ammonia spike, should be fine though. same sized tank i doubt you'll get a diatom bloom.. if you were going to a considerably larger tank i'd expect one..

kwhyle
07/18/2017, 12:21 PM
I agree with a small ammonia spike, but I wouldn't add old sand at all.

cincyjim
07/18/2017, 01:14 PM
You should be fine since you are using your rock even though you are getting new sand. You could get a couple of bottles Dr. Tim's One and Only to ease the switch between the two tanks.

billdogg
07/18/2017, 02:29 PM
When I upgraded from a 60 cube to my 120, I used some of the old rock, a cup of the old sand, and had no cycle at all. Just keep it all nice and wet while you are making the switch. I had the advantage of having moved the 60 for new carpet. I left it in it's temporary place while I got the 120 ready for water. The change over took me all of 30 minutes.

davocean
07/18/2017, 02:35 PM
Agree w/ Billdogg, in fact many do this in upsizing even twice the volume, and I'd do just as you described, all new dry sand, seeded from the top half inch of your existing or just a scoop off top, seeds very fast.

der_wille_zur_macht
07/18/2017, 07:51 PM
I agree with the advice so far though I'll add it's hard to be very specific with this kind of thing, without seeing the tank in person. If your rock is clean and healthy it'll be totally fine. If your rock is covered in detritus and gunk, you'll have a problem.