PDA

View Full Version : Anyone introduced a male orange spotted filefish to a tank with an established female

Tripod1404
07/18/2017, 02:45 PM
Hey guys,

I have a female orange spotted filefish that I have been keeping in my tank for close to 6 months. When I first got it it was thin as a leaf, I actually thought it will not survive.

In 2 weeks, I was able to wean it to a captive diet and now it a variety eats prepared food. Her favorite food is ocean nutrition formula 2 flakes, nutramar ova prawn eggs and smaller hikari mysis shrimp. She grew quite a bit and it is as fat as a pig. She can compete and hold on her own for the food in the water column with tangs and wrasses, so I dont really need to pay attention to her food intake anymore. I invested a lot of time into this fish and I am happy to see it is doing very well.

So my original intention was to pair this with a male orange spotted filefish (also weaned) that my friend was going to give to me. Long story short, he decided to keep the fish and I now have a single female.

Do any of you have any experience in how to introduce a new male to an established female? Are they known to fight? Do they live as pairs or harems in the wild?
I will try to get a male from LA that is weaned but still I fear the female will distract it from eating or bully him.

Thanks for your help