PDA

View Full Version : PVC Flex

Clowning_Around
07/19/2017, 07:31 AM
I suspect this is a rather simple question to some but here comes my newb question for the week [emoji2] . I'm in the process of redoing my setup including plumbing, this time I would like to use flex for portions, however I haven't worked with it before in this application. My question is this, for connecting up with rigid sections do you just simply solvent weld it into a slip fitting end just like a pipe? I've dry fitted a piece and the schedule 40 flex fits great however given the limited contact it has with the fitting walls unlike a straight pipe section due to its ridges it has me seconds guessing the connection.... So, what's common practice here?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

karimwassef
07/19/2017, 07:54 AM
It's the same as standard PVC, but you need to secure the fitting and let it dry before bending or you can weaken the bond and cause a leak.

Clowning_Around
07/19/2017, 09:23 AM
Thanks

ericarenee
07/20/2017, 06:23 PM
Also if you want a super sharp or tight bend you can heat it easily with a Professional heat gun or propane torch applying slight pressure.. Once in the position you want hold it there until it cools. I use a adjustable bungie cord when heating to bend.. .

ca1ore
07/20/2017, 07:51 PM
Once the solvent glue is applied, the flex PVC will push all the way into the fitting. Let it weld fir a few mins and you're good.

Clowning_Around
07/20/2017, 09:51 PM
Thanks guys. I'll test a piece with my heat gun too and seehow that goes

der_wille_zur_macht
07/21/2017, 09:42 PM
If you look hard you can find cement made specifically for the flex PVC. My local big box stores carry it but it's not as prominent as the normal all-purpose stuff. It doesn't seem to be a strict requirement based on the number of people who seem to not know it exists, but I try to use it when I'm gluing flex just in case.