PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint Shrimp Eating Pocillopora???

EzReefs
07/19/2017, 10:10 AM
Hello Everyone,

I looked at my tank late last night after the lights went out, and I noticed my peppermint shrimp camping out on my pocillopora. I didn't think anything of it until the lights came on this morning. Then I noticed a lot of flesh has been eaten off of the pocillopora and a birdsnest. I think I'm gonna have to take the shrimp out. Anyone else have problems with peppermint shrimp?

Haunt
07/19/2017, 10:19 AM
Unfortunately what your describing sounds like the new norm for Peppermint shrimp. I just had one do a number on three different War coral frags. All of the green tissue around the mouths is gone. Since this happened though I've been trying to feed the shrimp as much as I can. Perhaps this will curb it's appatite when it comes down to feasting on my corals.

scooter31707
07/19/2017, 10:54 AM
Yes, that is very possible. They are known to go after corals once aiptastia has disappeared. Also they are known to tear up the tissue of the coral to get food out of them

EzReefs
07/19/2017, 09:27 PM
So I tried to give the shrimp another shot for redemption tonight, but sure enough he was there just munching away. He found his new home in the sump...