PDA

View Full Version : Stand for 850 Gallon Glass Tank

ravi197699
07/19/2017, 03:31 PM
Hello RC, I am upgrading the tank and going for Glass Reef Tank size 90" wide x 60" Deep x 34" High, I want to build the stand for this beast and I have few ideas in my mind, I can do with 3" Extruded Aluminum T-Slot or Steel Stand that will be 2" Square tube with Enough Supports, What you guys say, I know there are plenty of people on RC who own larger tanks, Please give your suggestions since this is gong to be 1 time shot. I want it to be strong and cost effective at the same time.

Thank you all,

Rav

GimpyFin
07/19/2017, 05:16 PM
Wow, that will be a beast. Don't really have stand suggestions, but definitely post some pictures as you get everything up and running.

FullBoreReefer
07/19/2017, 07:13 PM
My first choice for something on the "big" side is always steel

dartier
07/19/2017, 07:21 PM
I was dealing with the same problem on a similar sized tank (120 x 36 x 30). I was also going to use aluminum extrusions. I bought and cut all the extrusions, assembled the stand, but at the end of the day, I decided to just get the stand included from the tank builder. The T-Slot nuts just did not give me confidence that they would not let go, leaving the uprights to pancake with the tank filled.

I have a welded stand now made with tubular steel and powder coated. I will need to keep an eye on it for corrosion, but I have no worries about it's strength.

WLachnit
07/20/2017, 01:14 AM
My $0.02 is to use a welded steel stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fishgate
07/20/2017, 06:05 AM
Wow I am curious how much that tank weighs!

ravi197699
07/20/2017, 07:33 PM
Thank you for your suggestions guys, Tank will be build on site and i will post picutres on the build when everything takes off, I will using steel stand I have used t slot stand for my 400 gallon tank with no issues what so ever but this tank is going to be totally different ball game,

benbarfield
07/20/2017, 07:59 PM
welded steel or concrete blocks

ravi197699
07/21/2017, 06:53 PM
I am leaning towards Steel Stand but Concrete blocks might be good as well, I will not be using space under the tank anyway due to height of the stand.

der_wille_zur_macht
07/22/2017, 08:53 PM
Pick the material and construction method you're most familiar with, if you're doing the work yourself. It's completely possible to design and build a stand out of a variety of materials, regardless of tank size.

The closest I've done to this is building a stand for a tank that was 770 gallons (in a local museum). We used conventional 2x4 construction. It's been in place for around 10 or 12 years, I'd call it a success.

ravi197699
07/25/2017, 01:50 PM
Thank you der_wille, I have decided to use construction blocks on left and right side of the tank and then I will be using 3 pcs 3" x 3" square tubes from left to right, I will use epoxied marine grade 3/4" plywood that will sit on top of the steel tubes and then 1/2" Styrofoam on top of the plywood, I think 3"x 3" tube is will be fine. I will make sure that wall of the square tube is thick enough, I will have all the access under the tank to add storage or very large sump ... what you guys think of this ideal/design

jda
07/26/2017, 03:18 PM
If you don't need to use the stand under the tank and have a concrete floor, then we always used cinder blocks with the "foam" board on top of them to level it out a bit (forgot what it is called, but they use same stuff with steel stands. We did the blocks ever two feet, or so and on the corners. You could park a 18-wheeler on this... the concrete does not bend like wood or metal will.

We always had the sumps out the back so only pipes and cords need to be under the tank.

ravi197699
07/28/2017, 06:39 AM
That is good idea as well, as of right now I have pavers were tank is going to sit but I having concrete poured in where tank is going to sit and then concrete blocks and 3" x 3" tubes.