PDA

View Full Version : What should I use to restore acrylic aquarium?

miguelp19
07/19/2017, 04:34 PM
Hello everyone! I just acquired a 360 gallon acrylic aquarium that has a few scratches and such. I would like to restore it myself for it to be as clear as possible. I've been watching a few videos and seen how it's done but my question is, what is the recommended solvent per say to use to polish the tank? Ive seen people using Novus products but are these ok to be used inside the tank? Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Cammunoz
07/19/2017, 07:39 PM
depends how deep the scratches. A while back i did a 150 had to sand all the way down to 400 grit and up to 2000 then i used novus 2 and 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

miguelp19
07/19/2017, 07:51 PM
depends how deep the scratches. A while back i did a 150 had to sand all the way down to 400 grit and up to 2000 then i used novus 2 and 3

So the Novus products are good to use on the interior as well? The residue doesnt affect livestock or anything?

Cammunoz
07/19/2017, 07:52 PM
no jus used multiple soft cloth rags to take it off and do a good rinse a couple times

Breadman03
07/19/2017, 10:18 PM
Sleif did a great write up on the process a little while back, though his photo links are likely broken now due to the Photobucket changes.

DasCamel
07/20/2017, 12:05 AM
I tried the novus way, found that even finer grits helped.

Automotive products work well also, clean well before adding water and fish.

azsoccerpop
07/20/2017, 11:46 AM
Hello everyone! I just acquired a 360 gallon acrylic aquarium that has a few scratches and such. I would like to restore it myself for it to be as clear as possible. I've been watching a few videos and seen how it's done but my question is, what is the recommended solvent per say to use to polish the tank? Ive seen people using Novus products but are these ok to be used inside the tank? Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Yes Novus 1 2 3 can all be used just be sure to rinse thoroughly with a water vinegar solution after you are done polishing and then another rinse with RODI before you start putting sand rock and water in for the fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miguelp19
07/21/2017, 01:21 AM
Thanks for all of the replies guys! Just wanted to make sure the novus is good for the inside too and good to know that I should clean it thoroughly with vinegar! Thanks again!!