PDA

View Full Version : James91 32g BioCube

jrosales91
07/19/2017, 08:16 PM
Hello Everyone,

My name is James Rosales and I just relocated back to Chicago, IL from Lexington, KY. I've had no former experience with salt water tanks prior to my move to KY. As I started my new journey in Lexington I decided to jump into the salt water hobby as I always wanted to setup a salt water tank. I thought with the experience of having owned a 120-gallon freshwater tank before would have given me the upper hand in setting this tank up but boy was I wrong. I have faced many challenges with this tank and still do as of today. Unforunelty due to personal reasons I had to relocate back to Chicago and the transport of moving my 32 gallon was a challenge all of its own. By the time I got home after a 6-hour car ride and had my tank setup. Many of corals and inverts were in shocked and sadly started to die :(. I have been keeping up with my weekly water changes due to my stock of fish and everything seems to be doing better. I have yet to test my water as I am trying to locate my Hanna test kits that were packed in one of my moving boxes. Once I find my kits I will make sure to up this thread to keep everyone updated.

Questions:

Is there local fish club meeting around Chicago?

Is there a paid membership to attend events or unlock hidden forums?

Any local freshwater clubs as I also have 75 gallon planted tank?

Now to the fun part of this post my current setup.

Aquarium: CoraLife BioCube 32g
Lighting: LED hood Mount.
Skimmer: Slim-Skim Nano Protein Skimmer - Hydor
Water Movement: Vortech mp10 QD
Heater: Marineland Precision Submersible Aquarium Heater
Return: Cobalt Aquatics MJ600
Media Baskets: InTank
Media Reactor: Innovative Marine MiniMax All-In-One Media MidSize

Fish:
2x Clownfish
1x Six-line Wrasse
2x Green Chromis
1x Royal Gramma
1x Diamond Goby
1x Yellow Tang (Looking to rehome as he outgrow my tank or looking to trade for coral beauty)

Inverts:
x1 Green Brittle Starfish
x1 Sea Urchin
x Red Scarlet Hermit Crab
x1 Halloween Hermit Crab
x1 Sponge Carb
X3 Turbo Snails
x1 RubY Crab
3x Nassarius Snail
1x Anemone

Corals:
Assorted zoanthids and softies.

Ryan Darilek
07/19/2017, 10:41 PM
Nice James! I unfortunately don't know the answers to your questions above since I'm not in the Chicago area, but I'm sure there are. I'd check Facebook. Glad to hear your tank is recovering. I've got a BC32 as well and am very happy with it. The only thing I would have changed was the lighting, so I did and it's made such a massive difference. I went with the retro kit from Steve's LEDs and it's not even comparable to the stock lighting. If you've got the $300 I highly recommend making the jump... You would NOT regret it at all. Good luck moving forward my man!
Here's a pic of my 32:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170720/404ffd37c325a3b62d5ba43bb6fa7905.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jrosales91
07/20/2017, 11:37 AM
Hey Ryan,

Thank you so much for the recommendation. I have sent Steve support a question as I want to make sure the hood space is the same as the stock lighting. As I have a protein skimmer that is sticks out above the overflow. Wow you have such a great setup there how do you keep you glass so clean? Do you have a refugium from intake?

Ryan Darilek
07/20/2017, 11:13 PM
Hey Ryan,

Thank you so much for the recommendation. I have sent Steve support a question as I want to make sure the hood space is the same as the stock lighting. As I have a protein skimmer that is sticks out above the overflow. Wow you have such a great setup there how do you keep you glass so clean? Do you have a refugium from intake?Of course man! Steve's Support is great, so they may have got back to you already in regards, but yes, the retro lighting kit fits right where the original lighting is... And in fact, takes up even less room inside the clear part (pic below for reference).
Appreciate the compliment man! I keep the glass clean by just running my magnet over it either every or every other day to keep the algae from being able to build up. My wife is constantly giving me **** for cleaning clean glass, but it makes a noticeable difference and is almost always spotless :) I don't have a refugium and was really wanting to do one, but my LFS made me feel like and idiot and said it is absolutely not necessary and would be a waste of money... But I might still do one haha. Do you have one? And what kind of skimmer do you have and do you recommend one? I do weekly 5g water changes, so I don't know if it would be beneficial or not. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170721/8c4246a747cbfb8013584e05d9fd3099.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk