PDA

View Full Version : pyramid butterfly hole in head

Kremis
07/20/2017, 10:09 AM
I have a pyramid butterflyfish in my 180 gallon that has pretty bad hole in head, nothing on the lateral line. I have 2, and only one has it (so probably not a dietary issue?) but the other one has it pretty bad. they have both been in the tank for over a year. I also had a blue tang that had hole in head for 2-3 years then suddenly over a week it completely healed... bizzare. I tried some medicine for the pyramid (think fish zole or something like that) which did not help. anyone know what I could do for him?

Ngoodermuth
07/20/2017, 12:31 PM
Can you post a picture? Any white, stringy poop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kremis
07/21/2017, 09:34 AM
ill post one later today, and no i dont believe so

LobsterOfJustice
07/21/2017, 10:39 AM
Can you post a picture? Any white, stringy poop?

Is there a connection between internal parasites and HLLE?

Ngoodermuth
07/21/2017, 10:57 AM
Is there a connection between internal parasites and HLLE?

In a way, yes.

I was recently made aware of an internal parasite called hexamita which travels to the sensory regions of the head and causes lesions.

Pulled from a quick google search:

"Hexamitiasis is a parasitic disease that can affect both freshwater and saltwater fish. In some cases, lesions appear on the head and flanks of the fish, hence its alternative name: hole in the head disease. Hexamita infections may also be responsible for head and lateral line erosion (HLLE) disease in fish"

It's treatable by food soaking metroplex or GC, bound with seachem focus, for 10 days.

Naraku
07/21/2017, 08:14 PM
I think hex is mainly a freshwater cichlid disease- Oscars, discus and might be caused by a protozoa.

The saltwater hlle is generally believed to be dietary deficiency or stray voltage