PDA

View Full Version : I need help with new build!!!

Reefingmark
07/21/2017, 09:32 AM
Hello fellow reefers. Its been a long time sense I posted a thread on this site. First off let me say, my current tank situation is a 75 gallon drilled that i've had for at least 10 years. I'm so frustrated with, mainly because i've neglected it for so long :headwally:. I just want to start over (THE RIGHT WAY). I can honestly say I cut major corners on the 75 rebuild. :deadhorse:

So here goes:

I am currently looking at a 120 gallon drilled. I have many question. I mainly want to go lps/sps with some softies. Here are my choices. I want either a 48x24x24 or a 60x18x29 what are you thoughts.

As far as lighting goes what light should I choose? I also realize in reefing there are many different opinions on equipment, i'm just trying to get direction. This build will be a very slow process due to me not cutting any corners on equipment and being on a very strict budget:headwalls:

I need suggestions on:
Lights
skimmer
return
wave makers
heaters

What can I be budget friendly on? What do I not need to cut corners on? HELP PLEASE!

nereefpat
07/21/2017, 10:09 AM
Tank dimensions:

If the second option is 18" back to front and 29" tall, I would choose the first option. 48x24x24 will be easier to scape, easier to light, and have better surface for gas exchange.

Lights:

You have a few choices. I am a T-5 guy. For SPS, I would do an 8 bulb fixture with individual reflectors.

Lighting is a category where you can potentially save some money. 3 black box Chinese LED fixtures would only cost you about 300$.

Your other option (Also most expensive) would be metal halide.

Skimmer:

Lots of options here too. Do you have any in mind?

Return:

You want about 5x turnover of the display through the sump. So pick a pump that gives you about 600gph after head loss.

Wave makers:

There are some that are very cheap (sun sun) and some that are very expensive (MP40, gyre). With the corals you listed, you will want at least 50x turnover in the display.

Heaters:

Don't skimp here. Get new, quality heaters. Two smaller units is better than one. And a controller will make them safer.

Reefingmark
07/21/2017, 11:40 AM
I was thinking of going back to t5 lighting. I had much more success when I had t5's. Ati sunpower 8 bulb fixture is what I am looking at.

For the skimmer I love reef octopus but I have a supplier that lives by Bubble Magus.

Another question I have is the returns, can I go Jebao, or do I need to spend money (Ecotech) ?

Also Jebao wavemakers?
I was always told to go big on skimmer and lights but I've seen (youtube) major success on Jebao based reef tanks.
I don't want to cut corners, but I also don't want to spent my life on buying equipment.

Valentini89
07/21/2017, 12:00 PM
Hello fellow reefers. Its been a long time sense I posted a thread on this site. First off let me say, my current tank situation is a 75 gallon drilled that i've had for at least 10 years. I'm so frustrated with, mainly because i've neglected it for so long :headwally:. I just want to start over (THE RIGHT WAY). I can honestly say I cut major corners on the 75 rebuild. :deadhorse:

So here goes:

I am currently looking at a 120 gallon drilled. I have many question. I mainly want to go lps/sps with some softies. Here are my choices. I want either a 48x24x24 or a 60x18x29 what are you thoughts.

As far as lighting goes what light should I choose? I also realize in reefing there are many different opinions on equipment, i'm just trying to get direction. This build will be a very slow process due to me not cutting any corners on equipment and being on a very strict budget:headwalls:

I need suggestions on:
Lights
skimmer
return
wave makers
heaters

What can I be budget friendly on? What do I not need to cut corners on? HELP PLEASE!

I'm just going to post this here since I'm going to be setting up a 48"L x 24"W tank...

Tank- 48*31t*24w drilled $1000
Lighting- reefbreeders $599
Sump- trigger emerald 34 $384
Return pump-jebao dc12000 $200
Wavemakers- hydor. $250
Skimmer- bubble magus 7 $299
Heater- won bros 800w. $40
Inkbird. $45
ATO - tunze osmolator. $200
Trigger Emerald ATO box. $60
RODI unit. $150
Sand. $160
Rock $300
Tripp lite power strip 16 $50
Icecap flow pump x2 $300
Fuge light - nemolight. $85
Pikstik 26" tongs. $29
Red Sea cal/mag/alk. 11lbs $44
Nyos calc/mag/alk tests. $55

Reefingmark
07/21/2017, 12:40 PM
Wow I just checked out the reefbreeder lights, I like!

Valentini89
07/21/2017, 12:43 PM
Wow I just checked out the reefbreeder lights, I like!

Yeah and they are rated for SPS growth too and there are ppl on this forum who use them... Just ask RonReefman, he'll be happy to share his experience with the reefbreeders.

Ron Reefman
07/22/2017, 04:57 AM
Ask me a question here or send me a PM, I'm always happy to try and help if I can.

IMHO, the Reef Breeders Photon V2 is the best value of all the fixtures that offer more than 2 channels of color control and sunrise/sunset controllers. Three of my 4 tanks have RB fixtures. My Frag tank has a ReeFi-Labs 150 watt pendant that I like, and my corals seeem to be liking it a lot as well. It has WAY more blue than white leds. And they are quite reasonably priced as well.

Reefingmark
07/22/2017, 09:45 PM
I saw Rons other post on reef breeders. I'm actually hooked. I know in this hobby it's frowned upon to not go all out on lights (Radions) but I just don't have that kind of Money to spend.

But what do you guys think on wavemakers?