PDA

View Full Version : Biocube 32 lighting

white_Rubicon
07/21/2017, 01:25 PM
After reading lots of post it seems like most people are replacing the lighting with Steve's LEDs or similar. Obviously the stock isn't the best option

So my question is... how bad are the stock lights? Could they support a BTA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReefWreak
07/21/2017, 01:31 PM
Can they support a BTA? Probably. BTA's used to be kept under the really old VHO and HO flourescent lights back in the day.

Your issue will likely be keeping the tank stable, clean, and healthy enough for a BTA long term with a 32g tank. If you want just a BTA, clown, and maybe some zoanthids tank, you could try that, but I honestly wouldn't mess with an anemone in a nano. Too much could go wrong, and a single BTA could nuke a whole small tank if it died and/or got shredded in a pump.

TOOMANYFISH
07/21/2017, 04:46 PM
I have 5 anemones in my biocube 29 with nanobox retro for 6 months now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Darilek
07/21/2017, 09:40 PM
The answer to your question is yes, you CAN make it work... Just not as easily. With the stock lighting, you will need to regularly feed a BTA so it has the nutrients it needs to be healthy. The stock lighting isn't terrible and will keep a lot of things alive, but they won't thrive. I made the jump to Steve's and it's the best investment I've made in my tank by FAR. Everything grows like Xenia and the appearance alone of the lighting makes the tank look completely different (not that white wash appearance). I highly recommend making the jump :) here's a pic of my 32 with my big *** BTA that gives me absolutely no problems at all:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170722/29348fda030daece75085852a9126710.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ReefWreak
07/22/2017, 09:10 AM
here's a pic of my 32 with my big *** BTA that gives me absolutely no problems at all:

great looking tank!

five.five-six
07/29/2017, 05:24 AM
Can they support a BTA? Probably. BTA's used to be kept under the really old VHO and HO flourescent lights back in the day.

Your issue will likely be keeping the tank stable, clean, and healthy enough for a BTA long term with a 32g tank. If you want just a BTA, clown, and maybe some zoanthids tank, you could try that, but I honestly wouldn't mess with an anemone in a nano. Too much could go wrong, and a single BTA could nuke a whole small tank if it died and/or got shredded in a pump.

I had a RBTA nuke a 180 because after 2 1/2 years with his foot in the same hole in the same rock he decided one day that he would rather live, or die in this case, in a tunze 6095.

I didn't lose too much in that event but it required a lot of water change and a lot of carbon and growth was setback for months.

I will never keep an anemone again.

Try a hammer. I have seen them do well in less than ideal lighting once acclimated so long as water quality is maintained. Replace lamps every 6 months rather than holding out for 9 and keep the water clear with plenty of carbon. And often, given no choice, perculas will host a hammer.