PDA

View Full Version : Cal/Alk balance

JustinM
07/21/2017, 05:10 PM
Hi all,

So I was hoping I could get some advise on how to stay balanced. I couldn't be happier with my tank but it seems one week my alk is dipping and now it's my calcium.

For the past few months only alk was being used up so I would dose about 10ml a day to keep it around 7.8. Calcium has always been around 420ish. I decided to start adding kalk to my top off, for alk it kept it right around 8 so I can't complain, but calcium is now low, like 390. I though kalk distributed cal/alk in equal amounts?

Maybe my mag is affecting this, I don't know. I raised it to battle a little bryprosis. Raised it to 1500 and that is slowliy just trickling down to around 1400 now.

Cheers!

bertoni
07/21/2017, 07:20 PM
390 ppm and 420 ppm are quite close, as far as hobbyist kits go for accuracy and precision. Is anything other than Kalk going into the tank? Water changes can affect the parameters quite a bit, too, and there are a few process that will shift the calcium:alkalinity ratio:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.htm

JustinM
07/22/2017, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am dosing kalk in the top off water and part 1 & 2 as needed now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bertoni
07/22/2017, 06:26 PM
I think the tank should be fine. I wouldn't worry about the small variation in parameters.