PDA

View Full Version : Adding female Bluethroat trigger to established male tank

JJIM
07/21/2017, 04:39 PM
Greeting all. I will be adding a female bluethroat trigger to my existing male BT soft reef tank. The male is 4 inches long, and the female is 3 inches. Currently she is in an acclimation refuge. My male is lurking around the refuge and does not seem happy. What should I expect? Anyone else had success to adding a female to an already established male tank?

cougareyes
07/21/2017, 08:00 PM
Problem is that female at 3" might actually be a male. I have seen this happen 3 times myself in the last couple of years, and have had 2 different lfs tell me it's happen to a couple more people.

I'm not sure if at 3" you can be 100% sure it's a female, if it is there should be little resistance from the male.

JJIM
07/22/2017, 01:12 PM
Are triggers Hermaphrodites? In looking around I do not see conclusive evidence either way. The male is a no doubter, but the supposed new female I have is pale and looks more like http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u84/Woliverjr/Trigger/DSC_00810003.jpg

The edge of her tale, top and bottom fin has a reddish purple hue.

humaguy
07/22/2017, 05:02 PM
what cougar said.
also it is common for male and female bt to lose their color regardless of having "mate" in the same tank.
good luck

cougareyes
07/22/2017, 08:35 PM
Are triggers Hermaphrodites? In looking around I do not see conclusive evidence either way. The male is a no doubter, but the supposed new female I have is pale and looks more like http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u84/Woliverjr/Trigger/DSC_00810003.jpg

The edge of her tale, top and bottom fin has a reddish purple hue.

I don;t think they are hermaphrodites. I just think some males don't fully mature until at or just over 4". It's no problem choosing a male once you can plainly see their coloring. The problem is choosing a smaller than 4" female. Here's my pair at just over 4".

cougareyes
07/22/2017, 08:43 PM
My pic wouldn't post. The pic you are showing looks like a male to me. A female has no border on the dorsal fins or on the top and bottom of the tail. Those borders will became bright yellow as well as the end of the tail when he matures more. A female only has the reddish color at the end of the tail.