PDA

View Full Version : breaking up aquariums

dirk_brijs
07/21/2017, 06:03 PM
Hi guys was trying to find out if anyone ever used a heat gun to open up aquariums breaking them down?
Wouldnt it work melting down the silicone with the heat gun making it easier to slice it open so glass panels can be removed?
Just wondering as using stick knives and cutter knives isnt the easiest way I think....

Clowning_Around
07/21/2017, 07:22 PM
Have you tried fishing line method? It works pretty hood

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Clowning_Around
07/21/2017, 07:25 PM
Good*. Basically remove trim as normal and scrap the excess with a razor. Then use a piece of fishing line like floss between teeth working it down back n forth

WLachnit
07/21/2017, 08:09 PM
Good question...as I was wondering the same thing. I have a 6 ft tank that I need to dispose of (it's cracked).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

der_wille_zur_macht
07/21/2017, 09:18 PM
For the record, silicone doesn't really melt in the traditional sense. If you heat it up it gets a little floppy and starts to lose some bond strength around 300 C, and then it ignites at 430 C.

Gorgok
07/21/2017, 10:19 PM
Working with things you need to be careful with and are hot isn't that fun though. 300C is plenty past no fun...

If you can get at the end of a seam then shims and fishing line is really quite good. Shims, like feeler gauges (pretty cheap, lots of sizes) poked at the seam until you can get the line in, then walk the shims after the line to keep the line from rubbing the glass (and breaking the line) too much.

But to get at the seam, with a tank with trim, is also not really fun if you have to keep it intact. If the trim can be scrapped cut it to bits, lots easier.

Clowning_Around
07/22/2017, 06:08 AM
A 1 in putty knife makes getting trim off in tack a bit easier, just do bot sides and go slow working it off.

Clowning_Around
07/22/2017, 06:09 AM
Good question...as I was wondering the same thing. I have a 6 ft tank that I need to dispose of (it's cracked).

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkI hope you plan on keeping the good panels, given the size it probably has some good glass in there.

der_wille_zur_macht
07/22/2017, 06:32 AM

Honestly, if you're disposing of it, I would just carefully break it apart with a hammer. It takes a LOT of time and effort to cut the panels and get them out intact.

Clowning_Around
07/22/2017, 06:52 AM
Honestly, if you're disposing of it, I would just carefully break it apart with a hammer. It takes a LOT of time and effort to cut the panels and get them out intact.Well I would offer it free to local club members before totally trashing it. Would probably make for some good plywould tank vision panels, baffles or similar.

WLachnit
07/22/2017, 08:27 AM
Nah. It's an old tank that I got on Craigslist and it's completely scratched up. I used it as a holding tank while I rebuilt my 300g.

Horace
07/22/2017, 08:46 AM
Smash it then.....breaking it down would be a pita

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Clowning_Around
07/22/2017, 05:52 PM
Yea if all the panels are garbage break it, unless its all tempered. If its tempered it can still be done but it can be more dangerous if your not breaking it safely. If it is put inside a larger container, box or similar. I like to use something soynd like a dumpster or plywood box. Because it will pop/explode and break into a lot of little pieces. So once in said box, I chunk my 15lb sledge hammer up in the air a good 5 feet or so above the container letting it come smashing down with enough force to bust large / thick glass like that... but this is my warning proceed at your own risk and do not break tempered glass, there you have been warned!

FISHUNT-72
07/23/2017, 01:23 PM
:blown: or :uzi: