PDA

View Full Version : goldenback trigger

Myles
07/21/2017, 09:56 PM
Anyone know anything about these guys. Divers den has been getting a few in recently and other than price they look really cool.
I'm wondering if they come from deeper water as they are expensive and unlike most triggers they are listed as moderate instead of easy to care for.

tkiry1
07/21/2017, 10:29 PM
Anyone know anything about these guys. Divers den has been getting a few in recently and other than price they look really cool.
I'm wondering if they come from deeper water as they are expensive and unlike most triggers they are listed as moderate instead of easy to care for.Yes deep water and expensive like the crosshatch trigger...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mr. Eel
07/22/2017, 05:25 AM
just saying there is a fish only and aggressive tanks portion of rc that would be better suited for this, and if you want more of an answer you could go there.

Kremis
07/22/2017, 11:37 AM
they are collected deepwater hawaii and almost always when they are aready 8+ inches, they get really big. because its a Xanthichthys im gonna assume its reef safe and not that aggressive like others in the group. but they do get big

tkiry1
07/22/2017, 12:02 PM
Awesome fish!!! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170722/075242f558746f1f77ebc41e500523a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

humaguy
07/22/2017, 04:45 PM
they are coming out of the phillipines now and some smaller sizes (7 inch) have been around, and that is killer!
this is a really cool fish, lots of personality- even for a trigger, very curious, always out and up to something, they need big, long tanks and eat a lot.

Myles
07/23/2017, 12:16 PM
My largest tank is 10 feet long. Is that enough or would they feel cramped?
Also how do they get along with other fish? I am guessing the answer is unpredictable. I've got some smaller inhabitants such as a cleaner wrasse, flame hawk, and yellow coris wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)? Thanks,
Myles

humaguy
07/23/2017, 01:40 PM
My largest tank is 10 feet long. Is that enough or would they feel cramped?
Also how do they get along with other fish? I am guessing the answer is unpredictable. I've got some smaller inhabitants such as a cleaner wrasse, flame hawk, and yellow coris wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)? Thanks,
Myles

10 ft was not enough for mine, they need huge systems, outriggers are very mellow and if comfy, should not cause issues, they appreciate a cleaner wrasse, but may still eat it one day, no trigger can really be trusted, lol..

Good luck!

TK

Myles
07/23/2017, 09:44 PM
Thanks huma guy. I'm not in the business of making fish uncomfortable so I guess I shall have to pass. Too bad though as it looks like a really amazing fish.
Myles

jda
07/24/2017, 08:55 PM
If you can find one that will fit in your tanks, they are great fish that are easy to feed and are really good tank mates. They are also completely reef safe. The only downside is that they are large.

Myles
07/24/2017, 09:51 PM
Thanks Jda,
The ones I have seen for sale are all pretty large.
Myles

m0nkie
07/24/2017, 10:31 PM
here in Los Angeles, I've seen smaller pairs for sale around $1200. ~5"

wanted a pair myself, but ended up with Crosshatch pair. very easy to take care of. eats everything like a pig. leaves corals and some inverts alone