PDA

View Full Version : Types of Surfaces for Ich to to Encyst: Starfish?

WLachnit
07/22/2017, 10:13 AM
My understanding is that Ich encysts on relatively hard surfaces such as glass, rock snails, crustaceans. Will Ich encyst on a starfish? I have a red sea star in my coral QT right now, but am concerned that there won't be enough for him to scavenge for 72+days. On the other hand I am diligent about quarantining before I put anything into my 300g DT.
Thoughts?

JustinM
07/22/2017, 12:19 PM
My understanding is that Ich encysts on relatively hard surfaces such as glass, rock snails, crustaceans. Will Ich encyst on a starfish? I have a red sea star in my coral QT right now, but am concerned that there won't be enough for him to scavenge for 72+days. On the other hand I am diligent about quarantining before I put anything into my 300g DT.

Thoughts?

From my understanding, ich will not encyst on starfish. I would do a DT water dip on it though and kind of swish it around, then maybe another as well to remove any inch that may have been in the water.

To be very diligent, I would qt it for 2 days for ich or 15 days for velvet. By then all the dinospores and cysts should have erupted/died off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk