PDA

View Full Version : Question About Painting Stand After Tank In Place

JaySchulz
07/22/2017, 04:10 PM
Ok it's getting down to the wire. The tank is arriving on Friday and the help to put it on stand is on Monday. My carpenter is going to start building the stand tomorrow. He does not want to start the canopy (going all the way to ceiling) until the tank is in place because he wants to make sure all measurements are right. He's a bit of a perfectionist. This is all fine in my opinion with the exception of the stand getting painted. My painter will be SPRAYING the stand and canopy with kilz and then an oil based paint. I know the oil based paints are pretty toxic and I don't want it to have any deadly future effects on the livestock. Obviously my painter will tape off the tank very thoroughly. Do I have anything to worry about? Any advice to prevent future problems? Should I give the inside of tank a vinegar bath before I put water in? Or is there any other product I should clean the inside of tank with after it has been painted?

Thanks in advance.

Brieninsac
07/22/2017, 05:45 PM
As long as the tank is thoroughly taped off you shouldn't have any problems.

JaySchulz
07/22/2017, 09:40 PM
As long as the tank is thoroughly taped off you shouldn't have any problems.

That's what I thought but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks bud.

mbh7848
10/13/2017, 05:45 PM
how did this go? I am getting ready to repaint my stand and am going to leave my tank in place. I just want a white finish so I am thinking about only using kilz

billdogg
10/14/2017, 07:27 AM
Once cured I can't believe there would be a problem. Be forewarned that using Kilz only will leave a very matte finish that probably won;t cover very well. For a finished look you'll almost certainly have to use a decent latex topcoat.

mcgyvr
10/14/2017, 08:29 AM
^^ yep don't use only kilz..
In fact don't use kilz at all..
Just a few coats of regular white latex paint and good to go..
There is no need for anything fancy.. and that way you only buy a single gallon (or quart or whatever) and done..