PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon livestock stocking

Lksheppa
07/22/2017, 07:43 PM
Technically it's a 54 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. We currently have two clownfish, but want to add some interesting tank choices. We are saving a spot for way down the road for a mandarin goby, but would like maybe some kind of angel or bristletooth tang (advice wanted on this). Just curious about some colorful lineups and what you guys would recommend for a peaceful tank.

praveen956
07/22/2017, 08:02 PM
Flame angel .. flame angel.. stunning fish but 50% chance of nipping coral.. Orchid dottyback is beautiful as well [emoji226] setup a refugium to grow pods for mandrins.. good luck [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andywar
07/22/2017, 08:03 PM
Too small for a tang, and if you want coral I wouldn't suggest an angel. How about a bonded pair of orange stripes gobies with a piston shrimp?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jar41
07/22/2017, 09:01 PM
fairy or flasher wrasses, basslets( royal,chalk or black cap), hawkfish or blenny maybe?

Lksheppa
07/22/2017, 11:23 PM
On angels, could we do a coral beauty? I know they can nip coral, so maybe some advice on feeding habits to at least limit it? Are flame angels any more prone to coral nipping than others? On the mandarin goby, we do plan to set up a planted fuge in the next few months to start building a healthy pod population. But stil intend to wait until to tank is more developed.l to add the actual fish.

Might look into an orchid dotty. I'm also not opposed to a pair of gobies so long as we can still get the mandarin at some point. Tank doesn't have to be super full. I was thinking of maybe a tribal blenny and definitely a fairy wrasse. How would you guys introduce these fish to the tank order wise? So down to:

Fairy wrasse
Blenny of some kind
Coral beauty?
Goby pair?
What do you guys think of cardinal fish?

Kremis
07/23/2017, 11:01 AM
you could do pretty much any dwarf angel in a 55 imo, the 2 flames i had never nipped at any coral till they died for unknown reasons

Mr. Eel
07/23/2017, 11:14 AM
if you ask me 54 is too small for flames liveaquaria recommends 70 and they usually tell you lower than is good for the fish. They need much grazeable live rock.

praveen956
07/23/2017, 12:02 PM
Im a noob in this but have a small flame in my 29 g .. you will be fine with any dwarf angel imo.. mine hasn't nipped at corals yet but constantly grazing on the rock for algae.. below are the advice i got from others when i was doing my research:
1. Having live rock is very beneficial as they graze on algae all day..
2. Keeping them well fed is the most important thing to have them avoid nipping at corals.. i feed twice a day.. flakes or nori in morning and frozen food on evening
3. Pod population is good for them as well..
4. add them last to the tank. It will reduce agression and more time for the algae to grow in your system..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IowaReefer
07/24/2017, 08:28 AM
Provided lots of properly set up rockwork, a dwarf angel would be fine. I have had coral beauties, flames, and potter's and none nipped at any coral in my mixed reef.