PDA

View Full Version : 125g Stocklist

SoloChromis
07/22/2017, 11:30 PM
I won't be setting up this tank for a while, so things will change I'm sure. The tank will be a sumpless, slimmerless softy Reef, with the prolific soft coral and decorative macro algae being the means of nutrient export. Here's the fish list so far...

* (1) Yellow Longnose Butterfly
* (1) Majestic Angel
* (1) Flame Angels
* (1) Harlequin Tusk
* (1) Mauritius Annulata Damsel
* (1) Caribbean Longsnout Butterfly
* (1) Leopard Wrasse (female)
* (1) Marine Betta

... what's everyone think?

trembz
07/23/2017, 09:31 PM
That's a huge bioload for a 125 gallon with no skimmer

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

mike61289
07/24/2017, 08:02 AM
I won't be setting up this tank for a while, so things will change I'm sure. The tank will be a sumpless, slimmerless softy Reef, with the prolific soft coral and decorative macro algae being the means of nutrient export. Here's the fish list so far...

* (1) Yellow Longnose Butterfly
* (1) Majestic Angel
* (1) Flame Angels
* (1) Harlequin Tusk
* (1) Mauritius Annulata Damsel
* (1) Caribbean Longsnout Butterfly
* (1) Leopard Wrasse (female)
* (1) Marine Betta

... what's everyone think?

Too big a bioload and it seems that you chose fish that aren't 100% reef safe.

Take out the majestic angel and harlequin tusk. They will get stressed in a tank that size. The damsel will likely be a jerk so you might want to remove him too. The butterflies won't be 100% safe with coral and might even fight with each other in a tank that size so I would choose one.

The leopard wrasse is a challenging fish to keep. If you're new to the hobby, I would consider a fairy wrasse, flasher wrasse, or possibly even a melanurus or yellow wrasse. Also, make sure your tank is covered. Wrasses are jumpers!

Please rework your stock list. Some fish you can consider are a pair of clownfish, a pair of cardinalfish, a blenny or basslet, maybe a firefish or pair of firefish (if tank is covered), etc... There are many options. You'll have to keep up with the water changes if you have a huge bioload.

BigBlueTang
07/24/2017, 07:01 PM
Too big a bioload and it seems that you chose fish that aren't 100% reef safe.

Take out the majestic angel and harlequin tusk. They will get stressed in a tank that size. The damsel will likely be a jerk so you might want to remove him too. The butterflies won't be 100% safe with coral and might even fight with each other in a tank that size so I would choose one.

The leopard wrasse is a challenging fish to keep. If you're new to the hobby, I would consider a fairy wrasse, flasher wrasse, or possibly even a melanurus or yellow wrasse. Also, make sure your tank is covered. Wrasses are jumpers!

Please rework your stock list. Some fish you can consider are a pair of clownfish, a pair of cardinalfish, a blenny or basslet, maybe a firefish or pair of firefish (if tank is covered), etc... There are many options. You'll have to keep up with the water changes if you have a huge bioload.

I agree with this. There's no point in going skimmerless, unless you are keeping a very small bioload, which you aren't. I highly agree with the point about the leopard wrasse as well, most people need to go through 3-4 before they are successful with that fish, a new hobbyist likely will go through many more. It seems to me that you are keeping softies, and those can grow so fast that being reef safe wouldn't be much of a concern for me. I wouldn't do the majestic, but the HT could work if you are 100% set on it...
Also, no fish are 100% reef safe, there's just fish who probably will eat coral and fish that probably won't. Tangs can eat coral, and people can keep Angelfish in mixed reefs. It's really all how lucky you are.

CODE3EMT
07/24/2017, 11:28 PM
No offense, but is this a post a joke? That list is whats called FOWLR. LPS will be desimated for sure. You maybe.....maybe..... and I say maybe..... get away with those fish and SPS...... but not LPS. 125 gallon LPS tank with all those fish and no skimmer? Good luck. Please post Pictures.......

Kaiser699a
07/25/2017, 03:02 AM
+1 to needing a good skimmer.
My bioload is what I consider low at the minute and the dirty brown scum my BM Curve 7 pulls out is amazing me.

running scott
08/05/2017, 07:50 AM
I didn't read where Solochromis said he was a beginner? I didn't read anywhere in his post that says he will have sps or lps corals in this tank? If he keeps fast growing noxious soft corals I think his fish list is mostly possible as far as bioload and the fish not eating his corals.

flsalty
08/05/2017, 03:33 PM
Looks workable if you keep up on water changes and other maintenance.

I would put the HT in first. I would put the two butterflies in at the same time as each other. Same with the angels. The betta is the only one I wouldn't keep, but that is because I like my crustaceans.