PDA

View Full Version : Naked Goby North Atlantic

smoothmove
07/23/2017, 08:20 AM
Anyone else have these? I catch them in my backyard. I have about 20 in a 90 gallon tank FOWL DSB.

smoothmove
07/23/2017, 08:25 AM
Also found a Striped Blenny about an inch long.

velvetelvis
07/23/2017, 09:39 AM
Cute! I love blennies and gobies. Dedicated my entire reef tank to them, as a matter of fact.

Chasmodes
08/02/2017, 09:32 AM
Very cool! :thumbsup: I have an ongoing oyster reef build that is almost ready to establish. In the meantime, I set up a 20g long version of my oyster reef. Right now, it is home to naked gobies, striped blennies, skilletfish and grass shrimp. Everything in the tank is from the Chesapeake Bay except most of the sand. Every night after work, I can't wait to get home to watch these fish ;)

Here's a link to my last update:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25166640&postcount=168

smoothmove
08/02/2017, 11:16 AM
I live on Oyster creek,NJ. Oysters are difficult. They need water that has a lot of shmutz in it. I have tried oysters, but have had water that had made them shrink. I show them back into the lagoon. Filter feeders are sometimes tough. I have kept regular clams and mole crabs alive for years in my tank. For some reason, oysters I have to throw back before they starve. Protein skimmers, especially a good one, hurt filter feeders, JMHO

Chasmodes
08/02/2017, 01:07 PM
Agreed. I'm using old oyster shells from restaurants along with some that I've collected that aren't alive. I matched the right and left halves up and glued them together and then glued them into cultches to create the habitat. I don't use a skimmer because the SG is 1.015, plus, I am going to try and duplicate the ecosystem as much as I can minus the oysters. There are a couple mussel hitchhikers on the shells that I've collected so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about them yet. If I decide to keep a live oyster or two, I would wait until the tank is well established and supplement feeding them, but I'm not sure that they're worth the trouble.

Very cool that you live so close to your collecting spots, and cooler that you all have Chasmodes bosquianus so close too. Have you collected any other blenny species? How about tropical strays? What is the SG of your creek?

smoothmove
08/02/2017, 04:46 PM
We get butterfly fish near the inlet often. Triggers and angels come in September, but they are usually to big for the tank.