PDA

View Full Version : How to remove old acrylic protective coating

Clowning_Around
07/23/2017, 09:55 AM
I have spare 1/2 acrylic about half a sheet I plan on using for a small series of projects. It been of in my hot garage about 8yrs. It has the kraft paper type proyective coating on both sides. My first piece is a small piece of roughly 612, I've managed to slow pick pieces away with my fingernail bit it shreds and comes off in small pieces like nickel size on average. Even after I've managed to remove all of it there is still a stick adhesive residue ledt behind. I've soaked it in a vinegar bath for 5 minites and then rubbed at it with a cloth followed with a rinse but seems to have made no impact. So my first question is are there any recommendations for the residue removal? And my second, any suggestions on a better way to remove the kraft paper in the first place ( I have about 35 sq ft to go)?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Clowning_Around
07/23/2017, 10:08 AM
An update on the sample piece, orange citrus cleaner seems to have a little effect and removed some, im going to try a couple minute soak and see if that gets it. Once done Ill do a 30 minute clean water bath soak followed by a couple rinses before i weld and silicone parts... still would like input

ericarenee
07/23/2017, 10:13 AM
hot water and a sponge.. dip sponge in hot soapy water and lay on the areas not coming up it will loosen the adhesives.. a HOT WET Towel can also work on large areas...

jamie1981
07/23/2017, 10:38 AM
Hot water will probably be your best bet

Clowning_Around
07/23/2017, 10:47 AM
That makes sense guys, ill try that. Thanks

billdogg
07/23/2017, 11:20 AM
I used to use my wife's blow dryer. Now I have a heat gun. Get it warm and the glue (rubber cement?) will soften right up without the mess of hot water

ca1ore
07/23/2017, 11:45 AM
Paper is uncooperative at temp extremes. Let it cool to normal room temp and it should come off more easily.

Clowning_Around
07/23/2017, 03:51 PM
I used to use my wife's blow dryer. Now I have a heat gun. Get it warm and the glue (rubber cement?) will soften right up without the mess of hot waterI had thought about that but didn't eat to risk warping the acrylic from the heat gun...

billdogg
07/23/2017, 03:57 PM
I had thought about that but didn't eat to risk warping the acrylic from the heat gun...

You're just trying to warm it up a bit - not reshape it. If it gets too hot to touch back up a little.

FamilyTank
07/23/2017, 04:04 PM
I use wd-40 a bunch to dissolve adhesives.

fifthtoe
07/23/2017, 05:48 PM
Not sure what type of adhesive, but isopropyl alcohol does a pretty good job of dissolving many adhesives, (with a little elbow grease). The 91% is usually better than the 70% for stuff like this. It should be safe on the acrylic, but test a small section out if you decide to try it.

der_wille_zur_macht
07/23/2017, 07:11 PM
Isopropyl alcohol can craze acrylic. I would be worried about WD40, too. Acrylic is pretty fragile stuff when it comes to chemical resistance, there aren't many solvents that won't craze it. All said and done, moderate heat or hot water work, I don't see the need to use a solvent.

Clowning_Around
07/27/2017, 03:15 PM
So I had a moment last night to work on the project again, I first tried the heat gun i put it on my lowest setting of 430F and kept distance plus monitorrd surface warmth with distance. Ot worked better than nothing but was still hard to get areas started, after an hour i had removed about 1 foot square. So I opted to try the hotwater and towel ideait seemed to go a little better but not always. I did notice one area that i left wet longer seemed to let the paper delaminate from the adhesive (It being still on the acrylic) but atleast it came free easy. So knowing I can get the adhesive off with the cleaner I decided to stop for the night and drop all the pieces in my bathtub filled with water for a 24hr soak. Ill update on how it goes for future ppl qith similar circumstances

Acrylics
08/01/2017, 05:09 PM
if you're just talking about 6 x 12" pieces, stick it in the microwave for ~20-30 seconds or so. Not a conventional oven, but yes - a microwave.

For larger pieces; if they'll fit in a bathtub, give them an overnight soak in hot water.

HTH,
James

Clowning_Around
08/01/2017, 05:25 PM
Unfortunately to big to try a microwave. The soaking didnt seem to help. Its been a brutal task. Still barely made a dent in the project but at the same time I've had a lot of irons in the fire so to speak. In the interim I'm regrowing my fingernails [emoji16]

der_wille_zur_macht
08/01/2017, 06:47 PM
Here's the technique I used on the last piece I had with stubborn paper.

"HEY KIDS! COME TRY THIS FUN NEW GAME!"

"IT'S CALLED, SEE WHO CAN GET THE MOST PAPER OFF THE PIECE OF PLASTIC IN A MINUTE!"

Clowning_Around
08/02/2017, 12:32 PM
Lol

slief
08/02/2017, 06:56 PM
Not sure what type of adhesive, but isopropyl alcohol does a pretty good job of dissolving many adhesives, (with a little elbow grease). The 91% is usually better than the 70% for stuff like this. It should be safe on the acrylic, but test a small section out if you decide to try it.

Never use isopropyl alcohol on acrylic. It can craze it but it also makes the acrylic brittle. This is a great example of the effect of isopropyl alcohol on acrylic.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cU9Ty0L0g7E?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fifthtoe
08/03/2017, 11:15 AM
Never use isopropyl alcohol on acrylic. It can craze it but it also makes the acrylic brittle. This is a great example of the effect of isopropyl alcohol on acrylic.

This is good to know! I was thinking prolonged contact time would cause stuff like this but apparently not.

Clowning_Around
08/03/2017, 02:13 PM
I always test chemicals on scrap for marine or otherwise