PDA

View Full Version : Raising alkalinity with baking soda

BlueRoofTang
07/23/2017, 08:30 PM
Am I reading this right? This is the BRS calculator.

1) Dissolve one cup AND 2 tsp of baking soda into one gallon of RO water.
2) Dose 34.9ml in one day

This will raise alk by .1?

I used another calculator and it told me to use WAY less than that. I dissolved only TWO tablespoons of baking soda into the gallon of water and am currently dosing 23ml 8 times a day (184ml total). I am not seeing any change in alkalinity, and have been slowly increasing the does, but if I'm WAY off on the amount to put into the water, that would explain why I'm not seeing any change.

I'm running mixed reef, so I want to be at least 8-9.5dkh.

bertoni
07/23/2017, 08:45 PM
2 cups per gallon will make a fine supplement. 2 tbsp per gallon will be too dilute to be of use in most systems unless it's ATO. What is your estimate for the water volume of your system? I didn't see that in the image.

Martin Kuhn
07/24/2017, 01:00 AM
Am I reading this right? .....
This will raise alk by .1?

YES
- If you entered the correct water volume for your tank in step-2
- if you dose the calculated amount
- have mixed the liquid solution before as shown
a) 1 cup AND 2 tsp
b) "mixed up tofether with RODI "to achieve 1 galleon"
(Wrong: 1 Galleon RODI + 1 cup AND 2 tsp NaHCO3)

I used another calculator and it told me to use WAY less than that. I dissolved only TWO tablespoons of baking soda into the gallon of water and am currently dosing 23ml 8 times a day (184ml total).
You can mix solutions with NaHCO3 in thousands of different saturations.
The amount you need to dose is directly depending on your liquid solutions saturation

I'm running mixed reef, so I want to be at least 8-9.5dkh.
Of course you just want to hold your level, BUT
thinking 2/3-part, you need to understand that each "dose" adds a certain amount of Alkalinity/dKH to your tank.
2 situations are possible
a) your tanks Alkalinity is not where it should be. The difference coming form "Desired Alkaliniity" minus "Current Alklainity" is what the calulator needs as input to "correct your water parameters.

b) your tanks Alkalinity is where it should be.
As your tank "consumes" Alkalinity. You have to find out for yourself "how much your tanks consumes" each day. Exactly this difference hat to be added per each day.
The BRS calculator is not very easy to understand here. In case you find out eg that your tank consumes 0,45 dKH per day, tell it "current alkanlinity level" = 8, "desired alkalinity level" = 8,45
... and dose accordingly, each day

best rgds
Martin

dodgy67
07/24/2017, 03:05 AM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

This reef alchemy is an excellent read by Randy Holmes Farley, I use the recipe 2 keeps my tank stable, only difference with the magnesium is I have split the dose into a daily one rather than when Ca and Alk have been dosed a gall each.

Kadee
07/24/2017, 06:43 AM
The BRS calculator works if followed. If you doubt the formula, dose half of the calculated amount of the sodium bicarbonate solution (1 cup + 2 tsp into 4/5 gal of ro)into your tank and test. You need to insure that you have an accurate water volume of your tank. 2 cups per gal of ro sounds like the Soda Ash recipe.

BlueRoofTang
07/24/2017, 08:37 AM
2 cups per gallon will make a fine supplement. 2 tbsp per gallon will be too dilute to be of use in most systems unless it's ATO. What is your estimate for the water volume of your system? I didn't see that in the image.
I'm estimated at 245g if I remember right.

The BRS calculator works if followed. If you doubt the formula, dose half of the calculated amount of the sodium bicarbonate solution (1 cup + 2 tsp into 4/5 gal of ro)into your tank and test. You need to insure that you have an accurate water volume of your tank. 2 cups per gal of ro sounds like the Soda Ash recipe.
I put in plain baking soda..arm and hammer type.

Kadee
07/24/2017, 08:46 AM
I'm estimated at 245g if I remember right.

I put in plain baking soda..arm and hammer type.

At 245 gal your dose of 34.9 ml is correct to raise it by .1. You will have to dose much more to get it up to your desired set point. How will you maintain once you get there? Are you going to dose with 2 part or kalkwasser?

bertoni
07/24/2017, 06:36 PM
I get about 175 ml of the BRS solution to raise the dKH by 1 whole unit, or 17.5 ml to raise it by 0.1 units. That's if you use about 2 cups per gallon. For the solution you described in your first post, double that. So I agree with the BRS calculator.

BlueRoofTang
07/30/2017, 08:00 PM
I'm using kalkwasser. My calcium seems fine and stays over 500. I will watch it and if it drops, I'll begin dosing calcium also.

bertoni
07/30/2017, 09:42 PM
That sounds like a good plan to me. :)