PDA

View Full Version : What saltmix to use?

brendan.oates97
07/24/2017, 03:46 AM
I am setting up a clam only tank and i am going to need higher calcium requirments. What saltmix would be the best option that comes with the calcium i will be needing or will a dose or a reactor be easier. Weekly water changes will be my primary source of nutrients replacement.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bpb
07/24/2017, 06:59 AM
I wouldn't be too inclined to rely on a salt mix for your major elements. But...any of the higher quality salts with excellent near natural seawater parameters would be appropriate. You'll find some batch variation on mixing strengths of various elements on every brand out there. Tropic Marin, aquavitro salinity, Red Sea (blue bucket, not the coral pro), instant ocean, KZ reefers choice, HW, etc. really any reputable brand salt mix will work. Just avoid picking one that advertises something like 12 dkh alkalinity. That's excessive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devastator007
07/24/2017, 07:38 AM
+1 on not relying on water changes for Ca in a clam tank. Their demand will be much too high to rely only on water changes. You could start by trying Kalk in your top off water, but will most likely eventually need to do a Ca reactor or dosing 2-part. Clams and SPS both have high demand for alk and Ca.

That being said, the choice of salt mix is not going to be critical as you'll be supplementing anyways. I'd say just use instant ocean or reef crystals and use the money you save from expensive salts on testing/dosing equipment.

bertoni
07/24/2017, 05:29 PM
There are a lot of good salt mixes available on the market. As the others have stated, you are likely to need to add supplements in any case, so the higher levels in the initial saltwater make only a small difference. It's not possible enough calcium and alkalinity in a salt product to avoid having to supplement because seawater already is supersaturated with respect to calcium carbonate. Very high calcium and alkalinity levels just lead to precipitation of sand.

What is available locally for a reasonable price? Are you looking online?

brendan.oates97
07/24/2017, 05:39 PM
There are a lot of good salt mixes available on the market. As the others have stated, you are likely to need to add supplements in any case, so the higher levels in the initial saltwater make only a small difference. It's not possible enough calcium and alkalinity in a salt product to avoid having to supplement because seawater already is supersaturated with respect to calcium carbonate. Very high calcium and alkalinity levels just lead to precipitation of sand.

What is available locally for a reasonable price? Are you looking online?I am looking online because we only have one store that has saltwater products and its a bit over priced. I have never set up a dosing system before. My budget is tight because college books aren't cheap.

Volcmreefer
07/24/2017, 05:45 PM
Read this article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/nftt/index.htm. I did this when I was in college and had great success. Cheap and the kalk is cheap as well. Good luck!

bertoni
07/24/2017, 05:50 PM
A lot of Tanks of the Month have run on Instant Ocean. It seems to be fine, and the price generally is good, too.

Pablos RSM 450
07/24/2017, 08:05 PM
Best bang for your $ is Coralife. Lowest priced high Calcium and very consistent. I stay away from Instant Ocean, and Reef Crystals due to bad inconsistencies. 2 boxes of Io and last 2 buckes of RC were very inconsistent for me. I contacted IO and they wanted me to send 5 cups of sample salt and that I pay the shipping. Due to that experience I will stay away from those 2 salts. BTW 200gal box of Coralife is $39.99 at Drs Foster and Smith with free shipping.

brendan.oates97
07/24/2017, 08:12 PM
Best bang for your $ is Coralife. Lowest priced high Calcium and very consistent. I stay away from Instant Ocean, and Reef Crystals due to bad inconsistencies. 2 boxes of Io and last 2 buckes of RC were very inconsistent for me. I contacted IO and they wanted me to send 5 cups of sample salt and that I pay the shipping. Due to that experience I will stay away from those 2 salts. BTW 200gal box of Coralife is $39.99 at Drs Foster and Smith with free shipping.Thats pretty cheap. My system isnt going to be huge, i would say around 20+ gallons
So the least amount of dosing would be best as i dont want to crash my system.

devastator007
07/26/2017, 07:20 AM
Being on a college student budget, keeping a saltwater tank of any size may prove to be costly, even when doing things on the cheaper end. Plus, in a lot of cases, you can run things cheaper if you are willing to put in more time and work. of course, time also comes at a premium during college.

I'd suggest looking in the DIY section for ways to save some $$$ on the equipment side so you can feel better about spending a bit more on supplements or test kits. There are also DIY 2 part dosing which is pretty affordable, especially on a small system. Personally, I'd start with kalk and add in DIY 2-part when kalk can no longer keep up. I have a 65 gallon with growing SPS coral and am just at the max level of kalk without having to add 2 part.

Many people would suggest waiting till after graduation to start a saltwater tank, which isn't a bad suggestion, but if you can't wait just try to keep the system simple so you can spend your time and effort where it counts most...your studies. Then when you graduate you can get a nice car, or a larger tank. If reefing has taught me anything it's patience. Patience and basic chemistry haha.