PDA

View Full Version : Lighting issue..

Valentini89
07/24/2017, 12:17 PM
Ok so I was set on the reefbreeders photon V2 and i was just told I couldn't use it (I live with parents and they are generously giving me space in their living room) anyway apparently my mom doesn't like the fixture. So I need advice on what to get that is comparable to the photon V2. Must be able to grown and sustain anything I put in the tank. I am looking at a $500-800 budget. If it's cheaper, great. Tank will be 48Lx24Wx31D. I'm not set on LED anymore since I kind of have to have a "nice" looking fixture. There will be no canopy and I cannot hang a fixture. The ceiling is 20 ft+..

mcgyvr
07/24/2017, 01:46 PM
So what does your mom not like about it so we can avoid that type of suggestion..?

Is it because it stays "breeder" in the name? I'd think church goers might have an issue with that.. :)

And since when did kids start following their parents recommendations.. :)

Pelagic_e36
07/24/2017, 01:53 PM
Yes it would be nice to know why mom doesn't like the fixture, too big, too bright, too high?

Valentini89
07/24/2017, 01:56 PM
So what does your mom not like about it so we can avoid that type of suggestion..?

Is it because it stays "breeder" in the name? I'd think church goers might have an issue with that.. :)

And since when did kids start following their parents recommendations.. :)

I'm not a kid. I'm 36. Me and the wife and our 4 kids live upstairs and share the downstairs with my parents.. it works for us. She doesn't like the fixture because of how it looks sitting so high above the tank I guess. As I mentioned she was generous in giving me the space.

alton
07/24/2017, 01:58 PM
If I had to guess it is the gaudy supports the fixtures comes with, and or the light spill over? Make a support out of 3/4" angle iron 4" high, paint it black, and place the fixture in that. My wife loves my Build my leds since they sit a coupe inches on top of the tank. Too bad they are not made anymore, and I don't think you could find four - four footers to fit your tank.

aznflyfisherman
07/24/2017, 02:06 PM
You will need atleast two ai hydra52 or tw radions for that size tank. You could also go with with kessil a360, but with that budget look into use ones. I have the maxspect razor 320 watt on my 110g. Guess you need to show your mom some of the lights n see which one she approves of.

Barro777
07/24/2017, 02:11 PM
If it is the hanging bracket, then iQuatics have some real nice sleek looking solutions. And.. you are always a kid to your mom, regardless of how old you get :)

Valentini89
07/24/2017, 02:51 PM
If it is the hanging bracket, then iQuatics have some real nice sleek looking solutions. And.. you are always a kid to your mom, regardless of how old you get :)

Yeah I can't hang anything. The ceiling is too high and I can't mount a shelf of something to hang it from. I was looking into T5 units that mount to the tank via arms at the ends. Hamilton technology makes a 6-bulb unit but that's not enough to cover and fully light a 48*24*31 tank right? Just checked this out: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/48-sun-blaze-t5-ho-lighting-fixture-sunlight-supply.html am I missing something? 8-bulb t-5 unit for under $300 with controllability?

JonCubb
07/24/2017, 02:57 PM
I'd just stuff everything into an attractive, matching canopy. It covers the "ugly" lights, and helps significantly reduce light spill.

Valentini89
07/24/2017, 03:16 PM
I'd just stuff everything into an attractive, matching canopy. It covers the "ugly" lights, and helps significantly reduce light spill.

Maybe so but with a 31" deep tank it's going to be tough enough working in the tank without a canopy.

Valentini89
07/24/2017, 03:17 PM
Yeah I can't hang anything. The ceiling is too high and I can't mount a shelf of something to hang it from. I was looking into T5 units that mount to the tank via arms at the ends. Hamilton technology makes a 6-bulb unit but that's not enough to cover and fully light a 48*24*31 tank right? Just checked this out: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/48-sun-blaze-t5-ho-lighting-fixture-sunlight-supply.html am I missing something? 8-bulb t-5 unit for under $300 with controllability?

Nevermind this only hangs.

der_wille_zur_macht
07/24/2017, 06:10 PM
Ceiling height shouldn't be a limiting factor in hanging - just use longer wire to hang it.

At any rate, I'm sure you've thought of this, but why not take her to an LFS or at least browse marinedepot or bulk reef supply, and let her tell you which fixtures she likes?

Lsufan
07/24/2017, 07:01 PM
Pretty much any fixture will have eighther legs similar to the reefbreeders or u will have to hang. They make the legs that tall for a reason. If it was any closer it would be in the way of working in the tank, but also it has to be that high to get any type of spread with a led. Even if u hang it u wouldn't want it any lower then where it sits with the legs.

U can get T-5 with shorter legs, but if u mount the legs on the rim of the tank it really narrows down the accessibility. I find it easier to work in a tank that has a canopy with the light fixture higher off the water then with no canopy & a fixture on the rim of the tank.

Lsufan
07/24/2017, 07:06 PM
Did she see the V2 on a actuall tank & not like it or was she just looking at the website? I know Ron has his tank build on here & he has a good picture of what it actually looks like on a tank. I find the V2 to be one of the sleeker fixtures.

Valentini89
07/24/2017, 10:54 PM

Did she see the V2 on a actuall tank & not like it or was she just looking at the website? I know Ron has his tank build on here & he has a good picture of what it actually looks like on a tank. I find the V2 to be one of the sleeker fixtures.

Yeah I'll show her Ron's build

Valentini89
07/25/2017, 03:28 AM
Any reviews of the 48" MATRIXX II T5 Fixture - from Giesemann would be appreciated. I'm thinking the 8-bulb.

Ron Reefman
07/25/2017, 05:10 AM
And you and your mom do realize that the height of the legs is adjustable. So the fixture doesn't have to be this high off the top of the tank. In fact I reversed the legs so they are even higher than normal. Honestly, I can't imagine a much cleaner looking fixture. Some of the fixtures that mount off goose necks attached to the back of the tank or the back of the stand get pretty 'clunky' looking. That's a technical term by the way. LOL!

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/RonReefman/20170223_155902_zpsvdc4cdic.jpg (http://s395.photobucket.com/user/RonReefman/media/20170223_155902_zpsvdc4cdic.jpg.html)

mcgyvr
07/25/2017, 06:05 AM
Yeah I'll show her Ron's build

huh? If she doesn't like the "high legs" then she isn't going to like Rons..
But yes the light can basically be mounted right on top.. its all adjustable..

Maybe that was her "polite" way to attempt to discourage the whole tank idea...
Good luck..

sde1500
07/25/2017, 07:13 AM
Can't hang them, can't mount them on legs..... How does she want them? Some sort of gooseneck or mount from the back of the tank I guess? I'm sure you can custom make one that will fit the V2.

JTL
07/25/2017, 07:33 AM
^ Agree! I sure hope she approves of the stand and the aquascaping because in my mind that is going to be way more obvious than the light on a 150g tank.

Dummyforclownfi
07/25/2017, 10:29 AM
Used kessils with goosenecks.3 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valentini89
07/25/2017, 12:23 PM
huh? If she doesn't like the "high legs" then she isn't going to like Rons..
But yes the light can basically be mounted right on top.. its all adjustable..

Maybe that was her "polite" way to attempt to discourage the whole tank idea...
Good luck..

She's not trying to discourage the tank idea... She just wants something nice looking in her living room. You know how women are. Always making stuff pretty and all. Her and my wife have basically redecorated in there and if the tank doesn't pass the test I have to change it. I'm thinking of going with the 8-bulb geismann matrix t-5. She likes that. Maybe I can get it on sale on Black Friday.

sde1500
07/25/2017, 01:16 PM
I've read on here some people have issues with the Geismann running crazy hot. And how will you mount that one?

Valentini89
07/25/2017, 01:51 PM
I've read on here some people have issues with the Geismann running crazy hot. And how will you mount that one?

It has mounting legs but they aren't large.