PDA

View Full Version : QT filtration ?

Clowning_Around
07/24/2017, 12:54 PM
Hi guys Iím reusing a 20L for a Quarantine / Acclimation Tank and Iím looking at setting it up with simple filtration option. Perhaps Iím overthinking thisÖ

Iíve seen references to using a sponge filter only and I assume that means something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/XY-380-Aquarium-Biochemical-Sponge-Filter/dp/B0051XIN78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500919199&sr=8-1&keywords=uxcell+xy-380

I havenít used one of these before but my understanding is you can stick a sponge in your sump to let it build the bacteria and once in the QT just ring it out once a week or so to get rid of the filtered gunk. This definitely sounds simple although Iím not sure long term costs are on replacing those sponges with every QT event. Iím also not sure how I feel about ringing it out being my biomediaÖ

My other option is this, the 20L is an old sump. So what I would do is remove all but the one tallest baffle towards the one end. Next use some spare eggcrate to create an elevated shelf in that chamber. Load up the bottom with plastic dollar store scrubbies for biomedia and place filter floss on top of the tray. Also in the bottom chamber would be a small pump with a piped return back to the otherside of the tank with outlet near the watersurface. In this setup I would just be replacing the floss perhaps every week or soÖ

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Clowning_Around
07/25/2017, 03:40 PM
Well I think Im going to try the sponge filter route, it looks fairly simple which would be my preference for the QT

Clowning_Around
07/25/2017, 03:40 PM
Time to seed the sponge

GQsmooth
07/26/2017, 05:01 PM
Personally, I would have used a small HOB filter.

Clowning_Around
07/26/2017, 05:25 PM
I dont have room for that :(

Clowning_Around
07/26/2017, 05:55 PM
My 20L is in a small closet near my DT and out barely fits. So internal was my option oor something below it.

bblumberg
07/27/2017, 05:09 PM
Hi guys Iím reusing a 20L for a Quarantine / Acclimation Tank and Iím looking at setting it up with simple filtration option. Perhaps Iím overthinking thisÖ

Iíve seen references to using a sponge filter only and I assume that means something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/XY-380-Aquarium-Biochemical-Sponge-Filter/dp/B0051XIN78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500919199&sr=8-1&keywords=uxcell+xy-380

I havenít used one of these before but my understanding is you can stick a sponge in your sump to let it build the bacteria and once in the QT just ring it out once a week or so to get rid of the filtered gunk. This definitely sounds simple although Iím not sure long term costs are on replacing those sponges with every QT event. Iím also not sure how I feel about ringing it out being my biomediaÖ

My other option is this, the 20L is an old sump. So what I would do is remove all but the one tallest baffle towards the one end. Next use some spare eggcrate to create an elevated shelf in that chamber. Load up the bottom with plastic dollar store scrubbies for biomedia and place filter floss on top of the tray. Also in the bottom chamber would be a small pump with a piped return back to the otherside of the tank with outlet near the watersurface. In this setup I would just be replacing the floss perhaps every week or soÖ

Thoughts?

Sponge filter is definitely good for quarantine tank. There are many types. I like the Tetra double filters but the type you linked to works well, too.

Clowning_Around
07/27/2017, 06:15 PM
Thanks, given its saltwater should i use a n airstone or not in it / will the bubbles be to small